seahorse question

tangs123

seahorses are very hard to ---;
the males and females are different sizes and the only sure way to tell is when mating comes around

torno

Seahorses are only hard to --- when they're small, that's because males have pouches and females don't, and when they're small the pouches may not be developed yet. In females, the chest part that connects to the inner tail "smooths over". In males, theres not so much roundness or curve to it.
Click me.

poniegirl

Actually, seahorses are fairly easy to tell gender.
The female is usually smaller and slimmer. Her abdomen by her vent will be pretty much like the rest of her body, texture-wise.
The male, larger, fuller looking and his abdomen area (pouch area) will be smoother, less armored looking. The pouch is elastic, as it does enlarge when he carries young.
The lollowing photos are from a site about keeping and breeding them. The first is the male, the second, a female.

torno

WLA, did you check out the link I provided? I've found it to be helpful as well...
Excellent pics ponygirl!

xdave

Seahorses seldom accept arranged marriages. In fact seahorse mate selection is considered one of the greatest mysteries of marine biology.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by xDave
Seahorses seldom accept arranged marriages. In fact seahorse mate selection is considered one of the greatest mysteries of marine biology.
They are funny about mating. Water conditions, lighting, flow, tank mates and even time of the year all play a factor. I couldn't get my kudas to mate to save my life and then one of the three died from repeated gas bubble disease and 2 weeks later the male gave birth. I noticed it when my percula was hovering around the seahorse. I only got 2 into netting and they both died. Percula probably ate 20-40? I will be more attentive the next time.
Mc

xdave

Yeah, thats too bad. Why do they always wait 'till you look away to give birth?
If the lfs has a bunch, you can spot a pair. They will swim holding eachother. One holding onto another thats holding onto something doesn't count. It's about the only time you can tell the lfs guy "I want that one and that one" without getting a dirty look.

alyssia

If the lfs gas a bunch, you can spot a pair. They will swim holding eachother. One holding onto another thats holding onto something doesn't count. It's about hte only time you can tell the lfs guy "I want that one and that one" without getting a dirty look.

:thinking: My SH's hold onto each other all the time and they are both girls.

xdave

Not that theres anything wrong with that
OK, sure, I left out the obvious part, a male and female
that swim together. Not foolproof or garunteed, but your % of success is greater than selecting randomly.

alyssia

Not that theres anything wrong with that
OK, sure, I left out the obvious part, a male and female
that swim together. Not foolproof or garunteed, but your % of success is greater than selecting randomly.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by alyssia
:thinking: My SH's hold onto each other all the time and they are both girls.
Mine are also both female and also hold each others tails, heads, snouts....
And as far as arranged marriages, I think you're mistaken on that, xDave. Seahorse farms don't survive on mystery.
My only advise on choosing a mate for your female would be to try to aquire one that is the approximate age that she is. Maturity levels should be close.

torno

My only advise on choosing a mate for your female would be to try to aquire one that is the approximate age that she is. Maturity levels should be close.
Exactly. No Ashton/Demi pairings....
:happyfish

xdave

Seahorse farms don't have to rely on mystery, nor do they need to pair them. They keep thousands and thousands of males and females toghether in the tank and merely collect the babies. They are often kept in coated fiberglas tubs that are 16' x 8' around 2' deep with platic grill from light fixture for them to perch on. The distributor I worked for alone would get around 2000 at a time.

poniegirl

My, my. It turns out I'm a newbie.
" (quote)Seahorses seldom accept arranged marriages. In fact seahorse mate selection is considered one of the greatest mysteries of marine biology.(unquote)"
So, is it a mystery, or are they promiscuous? You decide and we'll go with that.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by WLA1610
Thank you Poniegirl, that helped out alot. I have a female.
Congratulations! You'll enjoy a male being in with her. I have had a male in the past and he was very mellow and liked attention.
I think one of the two I have now must have been part of a brood colony as she is very responsive to my hands..lots of time at the front of the tank, and a real pest if I have "in tank" business. The other is shy and doesn't like hands at all.
I don't know because I have never successfully bred them, but I have an idea that you will spend a lot of time with your pair.

xdave

You think I'm mistaken about breeding seahorses, even though I've done it and have known people that do it on a huge industrial level, and yet to quote you "I don't know because I have never successfully bred them". I'm confused.