Seahorse Snout Rot

pammy

Anyone have any experience with snout rot on seahorses? :help: My little girl is in need of help!
What would be the best medications to help treat her in a QT? ANY advice would be so appreciated!
Thanks,
Pam

pammy

I forgot to tell you about my tank. 42 Gallon Hex with 3 h. erectus seahorses, 2 peppermint shrim, 1 horseshoe crab, 3 snails, 25 lbs live rock, sugar-like sand substrate: Temperature 78 degrees, salinity 1.0235, pH 8.0, alkalinity 300 ppm, Nitrite 0, and nitrate is high at 40 ppm. This is their main tank. The QT tank is 10 gallons with hitching post for her. :help:
Pam

darth tang

Lower your temp a couple degrees per day till it gets down to about 70 degrees. This will aid in curing your little horse. Also pick up some neomycin and Triple sulfa to treat her with. Do all of this in the QT tank.
Is she still eating?

pammy

Hi!
Thanks for the quick replies! I have triple sulpha but am unable to get my hands on neomycin. Can I start with the triple sulpha and order the neomycin from somewhere? I will work on lowering the temp, too, today. No more than 4 degrees per day, right? Oh...think happy thoughts for my little girl...

pammy

Oh...and last night was the first night she didn't eat. She seemed interested, though, and swimming around.

darth tang

You may (while this is going on) have to feed her Live Brine enriched with vitamins as for some reason frozen is hard for them to eat when the have snout rot. Not exactly sure why, but Live seems to interest them more.