Seahorse tank questions

m0nk

I'm considering starting a seahorse tank though I don't really know much about their requirements, aside from general saltwater, low flow, no special lighting needs, etc. So, I was thinking of doing the following, please let me know if it will work.
I'd like to get a pair of kudas (if someone knows of another good starter seahorse that's colorful, please let me know) with a communal fish friend like a firefish or a clown of some sort. A LFS sells a generic tank setup for $419 with the following:
37 gallon tank
stand
generic light hood
live sand
Magnum HOT canister filter
$20 off of livestock
IO Salt (though I'd probably just use what I have in my other tanks, not a fan of IO)
I figure I'd probably spend about the same getting all the pieces individually, and I might just do that so I can choose some different items, but the general idea is to use an HOB filter and/or skimmer (would anyone suggest using a skimmer on a seahorse tank?) and no powerheads or anything else flow-wise, using live rock/live sand to cycle and adding some plastic plants for them to attach to. Thoughts? Is that tank big enough for a pair of kudas? Anything I'm not thinking of?
Thanks a bunch!! It'll probably be at least 6 months or so before I actually get ready to do it, just thought I'd look into some of it now.

rykna

The set up sounds good...but how much research have you done regarding the species and care?

monalisa

Hey Monk!!
Glad to hear you're thinking of joining the seahorse set. Your little guy will love them.
Your tank set up plan sounds really pretty good. Is that 37gal a tall? I'm not sure they make 37s other than tall, but who knows. With horses you want to go with a taller tank. In a 37, from what I've been told numerous times, you will be able to keep 2 pairs. I have a pair of female kuda in mine right now, and they're doing great.
Be sure to do a lot of research on these guys, things are a bit different from even a reef. You'll have plenty of time while your tank gets established. Also, be sure to look into purchasing captive bred and raised horses when the time comes, and also be sure they are trained to eat frozen right from the get-go.
Best of luck to you in your planning and set up. Post here with questions or concerns. There's usually someone on that can help out.
Lisa

m0nk

Thank you both. I haven't done all the research on the species yet since I'm still in the beginning stages of research. I still have to stock my 55 gallon, so I don't have the $$ to put into anything new yet, but I figure while I get the money up for that I can research everything. Do either of you think I'd need a skimmer or would the Magnum HOT canister work ok? I'm also not sure if kuda is the species I'll choose, I've heard reidi, erectus, and black are all pretty much like kuda in size, appearance, hardiness, diet, etc. Is one easier/better than the others?
MonaLisa, yeah I've decided to do the next tank as a seahorse species for my son. The house I bought has a large bathroom decorated in an ocean theme already with marine fish and seahorses. So AJ, my son, says one day "can I have seahorses too?" ... heh. I think the 37 is a tall, I don't recall the specific dimensions but it certainly seems as tall as my 55 at 18 inches.

monalisa

Originally Posted by m0nk
Thank you both. I haven't done all the research on the species yet since I'm still in the beginning stages of research. I still have to stock my 55 gallon, so I don't have the $$ to put into anything new yet, but I figure while I get the money up for that I can research everything. Do either of you think I'd need a skimmer or would the Magnum HOT canister work ok? I'm also not sure if kuda is the species I'll choose, I've heard reidi, erectus, and black are all pretty much like kuda in size, appearance, hardiness, diet, etc. Is one easier/better than the others?
MonaLisa, yeah I've decided to do the next tank as a seahorse species for my son. The house I bought has a large bathroom decorated in an ocean theme already with marine fish and seahorses. So AJ, my son, says one day "can I have seahorses too?" ... heh. I think the 37 is a tall, I don't recall the specific dimensions but it certainly seems as tall as my 55 at 18 inches.
Actually Monk, your skimmer question is one that I've posted about myself, simply because in my 37gal I'm running two Whisper 40s (rated for up to 40gal tanks) and they really seem to be taking care of business in there. The flow on those is adjustable. I'm also running a small powerhead near the surface of the water for O2 exchange. With weekly water changes of 5 gallons, this looks to be sufficient so far. I really hesitate to put a skimmer in that tank because of the micro bubbles it produces.
I just measured my 37gal and it's 22" tall, hmmmm.
As far as which horses are best for beginning keepers...well from what I've read, h-erectus, h-kuda (which is what I have), and h-reidi. Not sure about any others. I think that the real thing to look for is that they're captive bred and eating frozen foods (mysis).
Take your time, Monk, you and AJ will do just fine with your horses.
I can't wait to see your new set up. You guys will do JUST FINE!!
Dude and his little dude

Lisa

m0nk

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Actually Monk, your skimmer question is one that I've posted about myself, simply because in my 37gal I'm running two Whisper 40s (rated for up to 40gal tanks) and they really seem to be taking care of business in there. The flow on those is adjustable. I'm also running a small powerhead near the surface of the water for O2 exchange. With weekly water changes of 5 gallons, this looks to be sufficient so far. I really hesitate to put a skimmer in that tank because of the micro bubbles it produces.
I just measured my 37gal and it's 22" tall, hmmmm.
As far as which horses are best for beginning keepers...well from what I've read, h-erectus, h-kuda (which is what I have), and h-reidi. Not sure about any others. I think that the real thing to look for is that they're captive bred and eating frozen foods (mysis).
Take your time, Monk, you and AJ will do just fine with your horses.
I can't wait to see your new set up. You guys will do JUST FINE!!
Dude and his little dude

Lisa

Thanks a bunch for the info and the confidence. I think I will go with the kuda ones, since they're more readily available and I've seen more info about them so far as well. I also think yours are beautiful and certainly seem to have personality, based on the pics in your thread. I'm sure they're very personable...er....in person...heh.
I do agree about the microbubbles, still working out that issue in the 55 before moving anything from the nano into it. The 37 tank might be 22 inches tall, not totally sure of the dimensions but I'll be going in there for some snails next week so I'll make a note of it. I definitely plan on taking it nice and slow, have been taking the saltwater hobby in general that way and it's had great results so far....hehe.....though I always seem to want to go bigger; started with a 12, going to 55, and I'll be fighting the urge to startup a 180gal next year too, so I have something to house tangs and SPS in, but the seahorse tank is definitely next. I'd say by Christmas I'll have the tank bought, setup, and cycling. Then maybe a month or two after that I'll start stocking it.

rykna

You have the seahorse encyclopedia right here! If Lisa had her tank up and running before mine, I would have tailored my tank after hers Look forward to more updates.

darthtang aw

There is an up side and a downside to running a skimmer. The skimmer will keep your water clean and help maintain your tank longer. I have used them with my horses. The downside is they will produce micro bubbles and cause bubbles to get into the pouch of your horses. Unless you are prepared and willing to do the occasional pouch evac of the air you may not want to use a skimmer. I did and just had to evac the pouches on occasion. If yoyu are planning on raising baby seahorses from your horse pair I do NOT RECOMMEND A SKIMMER.

m0nk

Good stuff there, thanks everyone! Microbubbles suck, and now that there's a seahorse forum here I'll definitely be utilizing it.