Seahorse Tank, Then

monalisa

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/274321/seahorse-tank-then-now
The photos I have of the tank as it is now are all 2272 (whatevers) and too grainy/blurry when I try to fix them to post.
Wow, the cirri on that one horse is so cool!! I would like to know more about that. Is it just one gender that will get cirri? Is it at a certain age...certain environments? Anything you can tell me about cirri...I'm all EARS!!
Lisa

poniegirl

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Wow, the cirri on that one horse is so cool!! I would like to know more about that. Is it just one gender that will get cirri? Is it at a certain age...certain environments? Anything you can tell me about cirri...I'm all EARS!!
Lisa
I think the horse you are talking about was Fin, a female kuda (I believe?), 4+ years old in the close-up photo.
I do think the age has a lot to do with the exo-deco of seahorses. Or skin, in simpler terms. They can collect algaes, and with age...well, some of us can relate..
She was the first horse in this particular system. Never an issue or an ailment until her tank mate (another female) died. She followed one month (or so) later.
The true cirri are usually species related. Species such as reidi, kelloggi tend to exibit more pronounced spines. It can be one of the many defining traits when trying to ID a seahorse.
Kuda are a smooth skinned species, low, back-swept coronet (the attitude of the coronet is another source of ID)...but they have what I call "pixie dust" or the pearly spots.
They do have their own special traits. Finding the "true" amongst the "looks like" is the real trial.