Seahorses and their friends...?

blanchelola

I've got five sea horses (captive bred thank you saltwaterfish.com!) that are doing very well with a Bangaii cardinal and some peppermint shrimp. They are in a 40 gal eclipse with some live rock, mushrooms and a colt coral. Any suggetions on fish that can go into this tank and not be detrimental to my horses? I'd like some more activity and/or color in tank if possible. Thanks for any help you can provide.

carrie1429

Welcome to the board :) first of all
I would not reccommend putting any other fish in with seahorses. Since they are so slow other fish would eat all the food before they got any and even though the fish may seem passive and docile they can still pick at the horses. The only fish that could go with them ok (IMO) would be pipe fish. These are long slender fish that the horses get along very well with but they can get a bit large so your tank size needs to be big enough for them, your tank is big enough. Learn more about pipe fish at www.seahorse.org :)

jake22

Neons gobies are great additions to horse tanks. The reason being they are cleaners and they are small and will not be able to depending on what you feed your sea horses, compete for food. I feed my sea horses mysis shrimp and the neon gobie is to small to eat them so i just feed him some freeze dried stuff. I love the neon gobie. He will hitch rides with my sea horses this fish is beutiful and has alot of personality i highly recomend them. If you want to now more about sea horse tank mates go to seahorse.org they have a whole list of tankmates you can put with your sea horses.

alf3482

Doscil fish are fine in a SH enviroment. I keep two red scooter Blenny, and 2 purple fire fish and a Pipe fish with My 13 SH's. They are in a 40 gal as well. Here Is a Pic of Pete The pipe fish below. But No tangs, clowns damesels, angles. Doscil fish only. www.seahorse.org is a great site. HTH