Sebae Anemone

mr. wonderful

Hello All,
I just bought a sebae anemone and was wondering if it likes to be on rock or sand. I am sure it will find its own home - I was just wondering.
Thanks for your time!

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
http:///forum/post/3113826
Hello All,
I just bought a sebae anemone and was wondering if it likes to be on rock or sand. I am sure it will find its own home - I was just wondering.
Thanks for your time!
if the sebae that you bought is an H. crispa, it belongs in the sand.
if the sebae you bought is an H. malu, it belongs in the sand

gio28

i have one too...every clownfish i have ever had loved it! anyways...mine is in the sand and it is leant up onto a rock...making a 90 degree angle of it. yours looks dyed to me, mine was the same color when i bought it. mine is slowly returning to its normal brown w/ purple tips color...it also gets fed alot by my clown which keeps it healthy. i haven't found it hard to keep at all...its been through getting crushed accidently multiple times and is going strong. good luck with yours.

oceansidefish

They are often dyed since it makes them easier to sell. I do not recommend buying these dyed specimens since they have rather poor survival rates. Thusly being hard to keep. Feeding meaty foods regularly is essential to the long term success of these animals. They will eventually loose their dyed color and return to their more tan color, if you are lucky. The photosynthetic algae is what gives it the tan color...

gio28

mine has tons of brown spots on it so that is a good sign...and my clown loves to feed mine mysis shrimp..so hopefully it will make a recovery. its a shame though that they are dyed because not only does it hurt the anemone and it also wastes your money if they dont recover.
Wonderful, make sure you have good lighting for an anemone and keep it well fed and you should have a great chance at keeping it alive and healthy.

oceansidefish

Continue feeding it small pieces of meaty foods. If your clown is helping that is a bonus for you. Once they have lost their dye and regained the xooanthellae throughout you should be in the clear. If you can make it through this transition they tend to be a hearty species.

mr. wonderful

Wow!! I had no idea they were dyed - I currently have 2 true percula who ignore it completely. I guess it is up to me to target feed em. How often should I feed the sebae?
I believe I have good lighting - 2 Actinics T12/VHO & 2 175w Metal Halides.

oceansidefish

H.malu is not a host species to true perculas...You will have better luck with them hosting in
Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantean)
Ritteri (Maroon) Anemone (Heteractis magnifica)
Saddle Anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni)
They will also generally host in BTA's IME

gio28

two kinds, no they will fight...but a pair is always good. it dosent double your chances really..but they are cool as a mated pair.

oceansidefish

Two different species in most tanks is a big no-no...There is a chance they may warm up to the nem....If not and you really want a nem for them to host you can try and either trade your LFS or sell it locally to another reefer. Although there is no reason you can't just keep it either.

mr. wonderful

Thanks for everyone's advise - just so that I am clear.
I bought 2 true percula clownfish to host my Sebae (not knowing that it would not host my particular sebae).
If I bought an additional pair of clownfish (that would host my sebae) would the true percula and the new pair fight? Any suggestions of what kind of clownfish to buy next?
LOL - I hope that made sense.

gio28

unless you have a very large tank two pairs of clowns would fight. even if both pairs are true percs they will. i used to have true percs and they hosted my sebae. dont assume that just because they dont host it as quickly as you want them to that they never will. i wouldnt even buy another pair if your current ones dont host...some people are just lucky, and some never get thiers to host. be patient...you could wake up or look into your tank like i did one day to find them in your nem.
hope this helps.

oceansidefish

It is possible that your percs will eventually host your anemone....I am just saying its not their natural choice. Two pairs of clowns will fight to the death in a small tank

mr. wonderful

Thanks all!! I guess I will just wait and see - this is a lesson well learned. I truly appreciate all the wonderful advise.
All the Best!

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/3116374
H.malu is not a host species to true perculas...You will have better luck with them hosting in
Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantean)
Ritteri (Maroon) Anemone (Heteractis magnifica)
Saddle Anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni)
They will also generally host in BTA's IME
This is incorrect S.haddoni is not a natural host, but h.crispa (sebae) is. Just not ones that are dyed yellow)