second opinion

aquaman2000

Hi
i wanted to start a 36 gal LROWF tank but after 3 days of readin and reading i am deciding on going big

a person near my house is selling me a 120 gal tank with the following included (1,000)
-black canopy with stand
-FLUVAL FX5 FILTER (filters 1100 gallons per hour)
-RENA FILSTAR XP3
-2 Heaters
-1 bubbler
-2 Powerheads
-1 Antistatic pole(keeps any electrical current out of water
-Fluorescent lighting (wireless remote)
-Thermometer
I lack the experience with salt water aquariums and parts (I have experience with freshwater but these two are different) (even though i have read 6hrs a day for 3 days) I think reading helps but you get experience when you are going hands on with your fish, reading prepares you (my opinion)
What do you guys say should i go for it

or
should i pass and wait for another one

hot883

So does he want $1,000 for it? It's always best to go as big as possible, better water quality and easier to handle.

hot883

I bought my 125 gallon with stand and canopy for $600 NEW. Thats even a high price for some areas.
Does this one come with live sand and live rock? If not, there are ALOT better deals out there. have you looked in our "classified" threads on here?

mandarin w

In general, the going rate for a used tank, is about a $1 per gallon, Stand add $50, Canopy add $25 (this is wood canopy not glass), If there is a sump $25, skimmer $50. - $100.
It depends on which 120 this is, if it is the 48x24x24 these are a lot more popular than the 6 foot one.
For what you have listed,
If it is the
4 foot tank = $500 MAX
6 foot tank = $ 400.
Last year I got my180gallon, Reef ready, 3x 250 Mhwith 2x96VHO, UV sterilizer, sump, skimmer (skimmer needed new pump), Iwaki RLT 70 return pump, 3 150 wat heaters, for $700 This system was about 1 1/2 year old.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by mandarin w
In general, the going rate for a used tank, is about a $1 per gallon, Stand add $50, Canopy add $25 (this is wood canopy not glass), If there is a sump $25, skimmer $50. - $100.
It depends on which 120 this is, if it is the 48x24x24 these are a lot more popular than the 6 foot one.
For what you have listed,
If it is the
4 foot tank = $500 MAX
6 foot tank = $ 400.
Last year I got my180gallon, Reef ready, 3x 250 Mhwith 2x96VHO, UV sterilizer, sump, skimmer (skimmer needed new pump), Iwaki RLT 70 return pump, 3 150 wat heaters, for $700 This system was about 1 1/2 year old.
I don't understand. If you are saying about $100 oer gallon and it's a 120 gallon tank how do you come up with 3 to 4 times the $120. Even if you add the equipment it would still be $270 to $320 with the higher skimmer. I think $1 per gallon is way to low but a whole lot depends on quality.

ophiura

What kind of fish?
If this is a standard 120, it is a 4ft tank, and it can be tricky to do that with fish only. It will, IMO, eliminate tangs, and could be problematic with triggers and a few others. It depends, IMO, on what you want to keep. It is not my ideal filter system either, but it would certainly work.
Unless it is a SUPER good deal, I would be wary at jumping at a system because it is bigger, and available without knowing it will work with what you want to keep.

mandarin w

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
I don't understand. If you are saying about $100 oer gallon and it's a 120 gallon tank how do you come up with 3 to 4 times the $120. Even if you add the equipment it would still be $270 to $320 with the higher skimmer. I think $1 per gallon is way to low but a whole lot depends on quality.
I said "MAX" that is even giving extra for the tank and all of the equipment.

reckler

I got my 125 full set up for 280.00. the tank had a few scratches but it hold water, fish and corals. I have added other things to it also. so IMO you should find a cheep set up(tank, sump/fuge, ect.) so you will have more money in the long run to customize it.