Second opinon please

melissa1

OK we just bought the attached coral because it is gorgeous!! However my LFS told us it was a torch coral i have looked at a few posts this morning on torch corals and hey none of the pics posted look like mine??
Please help just a little confused:confused:
Also in your expert opinons how long should you wait to add anemones to a tank??

bigarn

I can't tell what kind of coral it is..... but it doesn't look like a torch to me. I'm sure some coral expert here will ID it.
As far as the anemone..... how long has the tank been up? How's the chemistry of the water? What kind of lighting do you have? :D

melissa1

tank has been up a little over a month, chemistry id great, lighting we have a 130 watts 50/50 coralife and a 40 watt marine glo
as you can see my other half is the lighting guy not me---:happy:

bigarn

IMO in order to even attempt keeping an anemone, the tank should be established for at least 6 months, with just about pristine water chemistry. I also wouldn't attempt it without metal halide lights. :D

gregm779

I believe it is a Fine Grape Frogspawn, does it look like my pic?
As far as the anemone goes you should be fine now as long as your fish are doing fine and your water is great. With that lighting it may be hard though, what size tank do you have? In my old 55g I had 260w PC and my Long Tentacles did great, they obviously do better in stronger light but will go higher in the tank is need be. You definitely will not be able to do a carpet anemone.

ophiura

Definitely agree with the above (frogspawn answers)...is it extremely pale or is that the lighting?

oceana

i was thinking the same thing
looks to be bleached out
most of the healthy looking ones i have seen are green/pink
or shades of tan. that ones seems almost white.
the ones i have seen turn white were kept in my first tank which did not have very much light at all.

fishphreak

That is only 3 watts per gallon. IMO that is not enough light for LPS let alone an anemone. I would suggest upgrading your lighting if you want to keep anything other than softies and mushrooms.
I have 3.8 wpg on my 29 and I honestly feel I am pushing it. The only reason I even attempted it is because my 75 will be ready in about 2 months and I will have 2x250 watt MH with 4x55 watt pc (for actinic)
IMO 5 watts per gallon should be good for LPS.
If you went with 2x175 MH you should even be able to keep some SPS.
I don't want to be mean or anything but I would seriously consider researching the requirements of the corals you want before you buy them.
Sorry if that sounded mean, I do not mean it to be. I just don't want to see you lose anything because you don't have the proper environment.
Again, everything I said is just my opinion...not law :)
Hope that helps,
Jessica

nm reef

It may be some sort of "octo bubble".....I've seen several recently in about the same condition...somewhat receded and bleached. A LFS I do business with had 3 or 4 last time I was there. I see octo bubbles a lot but recently they have had the "branching" type available instead of the normal single structure type...I believe they are also called "pearl bubbles"...I'd suggest a on-line search for either octo bubbles or pearl bubbles and see what you find. I believe its a closer match than some sort of frogspawn. best of luck.....

fishphreak

If nothing else maybe you could try moving it closer to the light if that is possible for you. It may help.
Jessica

francis

Originally posted by bigarn
IMO in order to even attempt keeping an anemone, the tank should be established for at least 6 months, with just about pristine water chemistry. I also wouldn't attempt it without metal halide lights. :D

what's a metal halide lights?

ophiura

Originally posted by melissa1
it's an octo bubble!! NM REEFER was right ding ding ding we have a winner

WOW! Can we see a pick of it opened up? Looked so much like a "little bit unhappy" hunkered down version of GregM779 picture. That would explain the color though!!