seeding my old live rock

newbie2swft

I have approximately 120 lbs of Tonga and Caribbean live rock from my old set up it has been out of water 3 plus years. Now that I am thinking of getting back into salt water tanks on a smaller scale either a 29 bio or 45 I was wondering approximately how much live rock I would need to seed the 120 lbs and approximately how long would that seeding need to take place. Also if anyone can recommend a good start up bio or up to 45 gal tank set up kit I would appreciate it.

snakeblitz33

29g biocube makes nice all inclusive tanks. A lot of mods can be made to them to suit your needs.

You won't be able to fit that many pounds of rock in a small setup, so I suggest using about 15-20 pounds of base rock and mixing it with 10-15 pounds live rock. It takes time for rock to be seeded, and I would say that as long as rock is in the tank, it's being used by some organism or another.

Bryce E

Yeah I just did what you're talking about. It took extra time for my tank to cycle using my old rock due to the debris on and in it.. however I did try cleaning it good first. I have just mixed some new live rock in to seed my old rock. Now that the tank is fully stable and has fish crabs in it. The rock I'm using to seed with is very established and full of stuff like small bristle stars, pods feather dusters etc.. not sure how long it will take but I know that I'm providing enough for life to once again branch out. I'm thinking it will take a good 6 months for everything to really start developing. 2015-02-12-21-20-25.png

Last edited:

newbie2swft

I understand the set up for the new tank but was thinking of seeding my old rock to either trade or sell at a future date. that is why I was asking about the ratio of live to base to seed my old tonga and Caribbean and approximately how long it will take to seed. I plan on seeding the tank in my 125 gallon tank

Bryce E

The top rock is established. It's probably 10 to 15 lbs and I'm using it to seed (as a guess) another 40 lbs. As far as seeding it with just beneficial bacteria I'd image it would take much. But I'm guessing your talking about all the other forms of larger (small life)

Bryce E

The amount you need probably depends upon the time frame you're wanting to accomplish your goal. I'm using roughly 20% to get mine done. The higher the ratio that faster the spread I'd imagine.

snakeblitz33

Seeded base rock is technically not and never will be true live rock. Live rock comes directly from the fringes of coral reefs and has way more diversity of life on it than cultured base rock. So, no, a live fish store will probably not pay top price for seeded base.

In fact, my LFS sells seeded base with a bunch of organisms and coralline for only $2.99/pound. Good luck!

newbie2swft

my rock as stated in my initial post was live rock in my tank for 6 plus years from tonga and the carribbean when I broke my set up down 3 years ago I washed and dried the rock so not sure if you would consider it cultured base rock

snakeblitz33

When you washed and dried it, you killed everything. Any useful organisms are now dead. No longer does it have sea life, and therefore is no longer "live".

Take a dry rock with no life and put it in an artificial environment to culture and it is seeded base rock. Take a dry rock and put it out in the ocean on the fringes of a reef and wait a few + years, then its live rock.

newbie2swft

so other than being ornamental it will serve no purpose for me in establishing the required environment for a salt water fish tank.

as you can see from the picture I started with live and dead rock to start...

then in about 5 to 6 month.. can you tell the difference??