semi simple question? ( i think)

mr. ray

wow that is a lot of sand and rock. I was only thinking of getting 20 lbs of sand. Can the tank support 80lbs of rocks and 80lbs of sand and 400lbs of water?

tdelinski

Actually it will not be that much water weight. In my 55 I have 100lbs on sand and about 80-90lbs of rock. When I filled the tank It only held about 35- 40 gallons of water. And yes the tank can handle the weight. Be certain that you have a good stand, I built mine from 2 X 4 s and it is strong.
Tom

nacl-man

Originally posted by Mr. Ray
wow that is a lot of sand and rock. I was only thinking of getting 20 lbs of sand. Can the tank support 80lbs of rocks and 80lbs of sand and 400lbs of water?

you can supplement the sand with Southdown, cheaper 'dead' sand.

skirrby

i wanna use all live sand. and i hope my stand will hold lol... i havent tested it really.. its my dresser. but its pretty heavey duty and full of all kinds of junk.. im sure it will be just fine

dacia

Do you want a FOWLR or a reef? FOWLRs do not require as much LR as a reef. For a reef, anywhere from 55 to 75 pounds of rock, but a FOWLR is really up to how you want to decorate it.

dragracer

I have 50pounds of Southdown and 30 pounds of live sand on top of that. Had a FO tank, but slowly I am adding LR. Right now I am up to a whopping 5.5 pounds of LR.

skirrby

i think for me just starting in this hobby im going to go with FOWLR for about 6 months or so... then slowley get into reef. reef tanks just amaze me. i can spend hours looking at them and not get bored. so i will definatly go reef after i get more ajusted to the hobby

fez

I just started my tank about four weeks ago and have the exact same intentions. FOWLR then (in about a year) slowly transitioning to reef. I feel the same waya bout the reef. Simply amazing.:D