Sequence Barracuda 115v or 230v

brettd

I just purchased a new Sequence Baracuda water pump. It comes wired for 115V and can be rewired for 230v. Is there any reason to give it the 230v other than motor life? Is there a savings on electricty by going to 230?

scsinet

There should not be a difference in motor life. The only difference is that the windings are wired in parallel for 115v, series for 230v, but the windings receive the same amount of voltage and current in both scenarios.
As for money savings, there will be a very slight efficiency gain by running off 230v, but when I say slight I mean very slight... maybe a percentage point or two. It's a common misconception that running things off the higher voltage saves money on electricity, but electricity is billed by wattage, which is not dependant on amperage nor voltage. Where it makes sense is when the motor is so large that running it on 115v is not economical because of the size of wire that must be run to the motor, but that doesn't apply in the case of a Sequence, which has at most a 1/2hp motor.
The tiny bit of efficiency gain you reap is not going to be worth the expense and effort of running a dedicated 230v circuit to the pump, let alone the cost of the freakishly expensive two-pole GFI breaker that you'll have to buy.

scsinet

BTW... nice pump. I just got my Wahoo for my big reef project, can't wait to try it out (on 115v of course
)

brettd

Thank you very much! You've saved me a significant amount of work and money.

FYI I purchased a Sequence Snapper first as it says it's good for a max or 12 feet of head, wouldn't even get the water to the tank with 7 feet of head. Yes, I was bummed. No problem now.