Serious Help Needed?????

joker3762

I recently purchased a new Tang (Dori). Everything seemed fine and then I notice some spots, I thought it was ich so i bought some medicine for the tank. my lfs told me to remove my shrimp, snails, starfish, and live rock. I just did this. However my emerald crabs were on my LR and I couldn't get them off. So I left my LR in the tank and continued to treat the water. I now have the water a blue color(due to the medicine) will it really affect the LR??? Also I have never had a diseased fish before, so I hope I am doing this right. Please help and Advise?????

sepulatian

I am very VERY sorry to tell you that malechite green (which was in whatever med you used) is not only unsafe for inverts, but also LR or LS. Please do immediate water changes to get as much of the malechite out of our tank as possible. That was REALY bad advise that your lfs gave you. You should NEVER treat any salt display tank with meds.

sepulatian

Ok, I wanted to post that first for you. Now on to the treatment of your blue hippo(dori) First, what size tank do you have and how old is it?

joker3762

unfortunately too late on the med. It turned my tank all blue, I will discuss this with my lfs once i finish this cycle they actually only told me to remove snails, shrimp, starfish, the bottle said to remove the LR, I made an error in the earlier post. My tank is 95-gallon wave tank. I have had it established for 9 months- no issues- untill i put the hippo in. I would still like your advise on the care of the hippo.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Someday someone will start sue a LFS's for giving horrific advise and they will start thinking twice. Please tell us what the ingredients are. Malachite blue is likely one ingredient.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by joker3762
Malachite green and Formalin
I am guessing Rid Ich? If you are still looking to find out how to successfully treat ich, Please look at Beth's "FAQ Common Treatments, Quarentine, and health info" sticky at the top of this forum. She has detiled instructions on setting up a QT, hyposalinity treatments, and other treatment methods. I realy hope your LFS does something for you regarding this issue.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid there's not much to be done. Formalin will kill off much of your inverts and live rock creatures. The thing to do would have been remove live rock and inverts, then do hyposalinity in your display tank.