Serpent Star

crimzy

I've considered getting a serpent star or brittle star too. I think that my rays would probably eat the star. But I guess it's a gamble.

meowzer

well if I order one, I'll get it Tuesday...so I'll let you know if the ray eats it or not...lol
It seems to me that everything in this hobby is a gamble one way or another

vmartino

just fyi, i have a green brittle star that is about 1.5 feet across and a serpent star that is about a foot across. so they can get huge

meowzer

Originally Posted by vmartino
http:///forum/post/2955639
just fyi, i have a green brittle star that is about 1.5 feet across and a serpent star that is about a foot across. so they can get huge
Yes, BUT do they mess with any of your fish?

natclanwy

My Green brittle star doesn't mess with my fish (at least that I know of) but there are many reports of them catching and eating fish and I believe its a common behavior for them in the wild. Keeping them well fed is probably an important part in keeping them from becoming opportunistic feeders and preying on fish and shrimp.
Heres a couple old pics of mine its probably 4-5" bigger now:

meowzer

It's neat looking....I think I am going to order the black one that is in this thread...and hope for the best...

iyachtuxivm

I have what they called a red tiger serpent star. It about 1.5 inches around (body diameter) with legs close to 6 inches. I have a red clown gobie that lives in the cave with it no problems. Only fish to disappear with out a trace was my flasher wrasse and I think it jumped and one of the dogs ate it

meowzer

Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm
http:///forum/post/2955725
I have what they called a red tiger serpent star. It about 1.5 inches around (body diameter) with legs close to 6 inches. I have a red clown gobie that lives in the cave with it no problems. Only fish to disappear with out a trace was my flasher wrasse and I think it jumped and one of the dogs ate it
I had a flasher once...it jumped...$40 for a dried out fish...