Set up new 75G and think salt is not dissolving

salt newbee

Hello. Please understand this is my first saltwater tank and I am learning as I go...
Ok I set up my tank Saturday and I think I already made a mistake. I bought 84 individual gallons of distilled water (that is a story for another time) and started by putting the sand in the tank (I think this was my critical error) first and then added the water.
After I added the 70+ gallons I got the sump running (RIO 2100) and slowly added salt one cup at a time.
OK let me say in hindsight that was stupid as I should of mixed the salt and water in the tank first then added the sand, but live and learn right? Now everytime I stir up the water white plumbs come off of the bottom and the specific gravity goes up.
I called the LFS that sold me the stuff (and provided me with no direction on how to install) what the deal was and they said the salt is not dissolved, so I need to keep stirring the water for a few days and it will go away.
My question is...will it go away or am I SOL and should I start over?
I am not sure of the type of salt I received (can check tonight), but it was the higher priced salt not the medium or real cheep stuff.
75G tank
80 pound dead sand
All Glass Aquarium Model 3 sump
RIO 2100 pump
Water temp 82degF
Thanks for any advice you can offer me.

cannonman

oh my... mix the salt with the water and then add it. I pour mine over the rock which disperses the water and it doesn't stir up the sand so much then...

salt newbee

Now I have set up a sperate container to mix and warm the water before I put it into the tank, but what is done is done. I am hoping if I keep mixing it will eventually dissolve.

saltn00b

a) welcome to the boards
b) ermmm.... nice name.
c) i would try to take the water out into a garbage can and mix it as much as possible, then take all of the sand out and in another container with a little bit of water in it, and mix that as well. then put em back in the tank. also, get used to mixing salt outside of the tank as that will not fly at all with animals in the tank.

reefkprz

oh my its a mimic noob!

the salt will eventually dissolve. just keep stirring it up.
Noobs Idea will work too.

salt newbee

Originally Posted by saltn00b
a) welcome to the boards
b) ermmm.... nice name.
c) i would try to take the water out into a garbage can and mix it as much as possible, then take all of the sand out and in another container with a little bit of water in it, and mix that as well. then put em back in the tank. also, get used to mixing salt outside of the tank as that will not fly at all with animals in the tank.
Sorry about stealing your name noob, at least I am newbee.
Thanks everyone for your help.

salt newbee

Ok I have tried now for 4 days to mix and get the salt to dissolve and I have the same situation everytime I move water over the surface of the sand, the white clouds keep comming up and the water is horibble.
Tonight I am going to attempt to take everything out, clean and start from scratch. I am not happy, but I have learned my leason to read everything to get an idea of what to do before I do it.