Settin up please help!

ecoman

OK, so basically I am already set-up, but the tank I have is getting ready to burst! I had just got it all setup and a couple days later, literally heard the glass chipping itself in a corner. So now the tank is about half full, with a 26 gallon tote acting as an overflow to keep alot of water out of the tank, but still cycle it. Needlesss to say now, that the water in the tank is trash. I went and bought a R/O water filtration system. I am going to redo the water 100%. The only thing in the tank now is decor, water, and LR.. Any other ideas before I go buy the replacement tank and set it up. I am using a magnum 350 convertible canister filter with ammo-carb. A seaclone 100 protein skimmer is on the way! Any chemicals I might need? etc. ??

Since I used regular tap water in the beginning, that is why I say it is trash now, since I bought the R/O system, right? or should I do frequent water changes to keep anything that has been cycling? I do plan on keeping the filter media, or should I change this too as for it has been cycling tap water???