Setting up 75g

bean

By far the best resource I have come across to date. I've been reading messages off this board for the last few weeks and I have gained a lot of valuable information in the process. I have just purchased a 75 gallon tank and I'm in the process of buying all the necessary equipment. My question is this: I'm planning on a FOWLR and would like to know what type of filtration system you all would recommend in addition to the live rock (wet/dry, cannister...) and the benefit of using one over the other. The easier the filtration system to understand the better as this is my first salt water aquarium. I plan on purchasing the power heads and protein skimmer this week. Are there any brands I should avoid? I would appreciate the assistance!

tlk

Welcome to the board Bean. I have been running my 75 with an emperor 400 hang on the back filter. Have never had a problem. 80# of LR and two powerheads. I don't have a skimmer, but have minimal coral so IMO, its not a problem.

oregonbud

Welcome to the board.
I'm a newbie here but have learned from some of my own mistakes - I would suggest a DSB in addition to the LR if you have not already decided to go that route.
I too use an emperor 400 with the two biowheels, have two powerheads, and 60# LR, with a 4" DSB, water quality is great and is holding steady - my tank is about 6 months old right now so still learning lots from everyone out there.
Welcome again.
OB

reefnut

Welcome, LR is the best bio-filter you could have. IMO if you have adequate LR you do not need any other bio-filter. A sump will be beneficial. As far as skimmers... There are several to choose from. IMO don't go cheap on the skimmer! Maxi-jets make a real nice power head.
Good luck,

slick

I agree with all the above. I suggest a DSB lots of LR and a good skimmer. I would stay away from rio pumps/powerheads because they seem to be kind of cheap.

T

thomas712

Welcome to the board Bean :)
For filtration your first best starting method would be live sand and live rock. Sand to process the nitrates, rock for coralline algea for a beautiful setting that helps with filtration as well by processing the nitrates deep within the rock. Both are excellent natural filtration methods.
I am one that prefers a wet/dry with in sump skimmer. A pre filter in the wet/dry is low maintanace and when changed every week or so can help keep your system clean and free of debris.
I agree whole heartedly on the Maxi Jet power heads, go for the MJ 900's they use less power but still provide good circulation.
Canister filtration can be used but can trap uneaten food and waste that can lead to a nitrate buildup. But still a good method of running carbon and phosphate removers, when needed.
They can be a repetitive pain to clean.
Questions anytime Bean we will be here. ;)
Thomas

bean

Thanks for all the information. I was intending on using a DSB of 5" in addition to 75-80# of uncured live rock to initiate the cycle once I finish buying all the necessary equipment this weekend. I know this may be a little premature but I was trying to put a baic stock list together and have been researching different species. I really like the longnose hawkfish in addition to several of the small shrimp species. After reading many of the posts mention was made to the hawkfish preying upon the shrimp. Is there any shrimp that are compatible? Other fish I was considering include a percula clown, firefish, blenny or possibly a jawfish, green chromis, dottyback. I think they are all compatible. Any other good starter fish anyone would recommend and a stocking order would be great. After the cycle is complete I plan on introducing one species every month for a total of 7 or 8 fish and possibly a few inverts if the fish will allow it.
Thanks, Bean

beaslbob

Bean: Whatever you set up, I reccommend you establish a strong macro algaae/marine plant growth. In that way you wind up with a balanced/stable tank.

crazy8

Bob,
If you set up a strong Macro Algae in your display, what are you using for it? And did you get it from LFS or online. I haven't seen macro algae on this site, but I haven't looked that hard for it either yet.

reefnut

Another point of having the macro in your display is you will not be able to run the lighting 24/7. With all the posts of macro's going sexual I've went back to running my fuge lighting 24/7. Better to be safe and take extra precautions IMO.

crazy8

Hey Kip,
I'd love to get you to send me some. I'll email you with my info. It would really help with the nitrates in the long run from what I have read anyway. I guess this will just mean I won't be getting that yellow tang anytime soon. I could keep some in the 20 gal I just set up just to let it grow there anyway.