Setting up a 72 gallon octo tank...

crimzy

Hey everybody. I am officially back... Back as a hobbyist after 4 years with no fish. This is the tank that inspired me to come back.
I just got it filled and setup today. It's a corner tank with curved front. I'll post pics as this thing progresses. Enjoy...

flower

Hi...LOVE your pooch!

How tight is that lid? What did you find out about filtering the tank without leaving any escape routes? The octopus is my all time favorite critter, a creature I will never own, but love nonetheless. I'm so looking forward to your build, and see how you do this.

crimzy

Hi...LOVE your pooch!
How tight is that lid? What did you find out about filtering the tank without leaving any escape routes? The octopus is my all time favorite critter, a creature I will never own, but love nonetheless. I'm so looking forward to your build, and see how you do this.
Thanks flower. I'm going to duct tape the glass top down. And the area of the tank where the plumbing goes in will be stuffed with foam. I think that will seal up the tank pretty well.
And rosey says hi...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/396911/setting-up-a-72-gallon-octo-tank#post_3536420
Thanks flower. I'm going to duct tape the glass top down. And the area of the tank where the plumbing goes in will be stuffed with foam. I think that will seal up the tank pretty well.
And rosey says hi...

Hi,

Duct tape...LOL, all men love duct tape. Women use Velcro

Did you read about using duct tape, or did you think about it and decided that was the best way to go?

I love the St. Bernard's....all big breeds...the Great Dane, the German Shepherd....I love horses, so LOL, maybe a huge dog is like having one in the house to love on.

snakeblitz33

wow, looking forward to reading this build as it progresses. I can't remember the last member on here that had an octopus tank. I think BTLD had or has one set up in her kids room. In either case, I am glad that you are back on the boards. Missed yah.

crimzy

All is progressing. I changed the light bulbs and filled it with live rock. Now I'm just waiting for the water to stabilize before starting to look for the octo.
:hi::hi:

flower

I like the rock work, what is the plan for a CUC? What can survive with an octopus?

crimzy

From what I've read, they can live with brittle stars, serpent stars and some other starfish. I will keep some hermits, snails and maybe even a couple shrimps and let the octo pick them off as needed.

crimzy

Ok so now I'm in the waiting stage. Here's a pic from just now for no particular reason...

crimzy

My seahorses can't be in a tank with the open propeller of those power heads, they hitch on them and could get hurt. What about baby octo arms...does the propeller have a danger to them?
That is an excellent question. I'll let you know when I know... ;-)

crimzy

All is pretty quiet with the tank right now... Just trying to confirm that the water quality is stable before introducing the octo. The tank has been set up for just over 2 weeks. I don't think I'll have a traditional cycle because I'm using the full sand bed from the prior owner. When I setup the tank, I also found a dead damsel from the previous owner and decided to leave it in the tank to decompose to see if I could cause an ammonia or nitrite spike. I also added a green chromis, which I've been feeding liberally to test the water stability.
Anyway, I just bought my test kit and tested the water for the first time. Below are the results. Now I'm going to start feeding even more to really put it to the test. So far, all looks pretty good.
:hi::jy:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long will an octopus live in captivity? Which species?

I had a 72 gal bowfront reef tank. They are pretty nice looking tanks. I'll tell you, mine was on carpet as well....I regretted that.

crimzy

How long will an octopus live in captivity?  Which species?
I had a 72 gal bowfront reef tank.  They are pretty nice looking tanks.  I'll tell you, mine was on carpet as well....I regretted that.
They don't live all that long in aquariums as their lifespan is only 1-2 years. I haven't decided on a particular species yet... They are fairly difficult to find at lfs so I'll see what's available locally or online when I'm ready to buy. The most common I think is the bimac around here.
This is my first irregularly shaped tank... I really like the curved glass.

crimzy

Hey bud. Tagging along here. Can Kees get one for you?
Hey man, long time...
I haven't been to Kees in a long time. I like oceans and seas and Atlantis on that side of town.
Each of the lfs tells me that they can get them but I think I'm going to order online. I just don't like the idea of them sitting at the fish store and being acclimated twice in a short period of time. I'm actually browsing around right now... I wish saltwaterfish.com had one in stock.

spanko

Maybe you have been here but google
"sources of live cephalopods"

pick the first link and go about 1/2 way down to a table with evaluations of places to get them online.