Setting up a 72 gallon octo tank...

crimzy

Well it's officially an octo tank!!
Mine came in today and appears to be doing ok. It has spent the afternoon hiding but I can see it looking at me when I shine a flashlight in. If it comes out tonight I'll post some pictures....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/396911/setting-up-a-72-gallon-octo-tank/20#post_3538042
Well it's officially an octo tank!!
Mine came in today and appears to be doing ok. It has spent the afternoon hiding but I can see it looking at me when I shine a flashlight in. If it comes out tonight I'll post some pictures....

No acclimation pics...
What species did you get...what size is it...where did you land up getting it from....LOL, there are lots of things to tell us while we wait for pictures.

crimzy

Fine, you dragged it out of me. I didn't post this pic because I ended up floating the bag AND doing a drip acclimation. Long story but releasing from the bag was the least stressful way based on the small space available between the canopy and glass tops.
I bought the octo from an online retailer who shall remain nameless. It is from Indonesia, and was identified only as an Indo Pac octopus. This one hasn't come out yet, despite my staring at the seemingly empty tank for an exorbitant amount of time.
I'll feel so much more comfortable when this one starts eating and coming out.
But per your request, here is just before the release...:%h:

crimzy

So I keep checking on this little bugger... I found where it hides. I put some pellet food in to see if it would respond and the octo immediately became more active and moving around, (but it still stayed behind the rocks).
So I'm happy that it seems to be responding appropriately to the scent of food, even if it's not quite ready to venture out or eat yet. I may leave a piece of food near it after the lights go out.
:hi:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/396911/setting-up-a-72-gallon-octo-tank/20#post_3538117
So I keep checking on this little bugger... I found where it hides. I put some pellet food in to see if it would respond and the octo immediately became more active and moving around, (but it still stayed behind the rocks).
So I'm happy that it seems to be responding appropriately to the scent of food, even if it's not quite ready to venture out or eat yet. I may leave a piece of food near it after the lights go out.

LOL...Put some damsels in there for him to eat and chase...he will come out then. Oh wait...damsels are mean little sh_ts, they may eat the octopus. JK