Setting up a Fish only tank?

gradth

I need help with the best way to set up a fish only tank. I recently had some bad luck with marine velvet in my reef tank, lost some fish had to do some drastic things to save the rest.
Basically I removed all my live rock, snails, hermits couple of shrimp and put them in another 55 gal tank to basically start over from scratch and do the reef thing the right slow way.
So that left my other 55 gal with m 5 remaining fish to be treated with Cupramine.
This is what I have running right now.
double biowheel filter( I moved my wet dry to the new tank)
about 20 lbs of sand that was left over.
Couple decorations for the fish to hide in.
Put my old generic lights up for the time being.
So do I need a skimmer, powerheads for flow?
What do I need for a fish only vrs a reef tank?
I was told to lose the bioballs by someone else, why is that. Should I find something else for my reef tank and use the wet dry in my FO tank?
Lots of questions sorry.

errattiq

no you don't need a skimmer if you are doing water changes extremely frequently, but I do recommend one because the amount of water that will need to be changed frequently will quickly become tedious. You do need flow just like any other tank, except you need far less flow, more for aeration than anything, but remember marine fish are used to current, not stagnant water.... Your double biowheel should be sufficient for filtration....just be sure to keep up on your water changes to help control your water parameters.....
Note: this a good temporary solution, if you want long term, you need to put some more natural filtration in there, ie more LS or liverock or even a refugium of some sort....

gradth

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2796032
Note: this a good temporary solution, if you want long term, you need to put some more natural filtration in there, ie more LS or liverock or even a refugium of some sort....
But with live rock or sand I cant treat it correct?
Which is why I set up the qt tank so that I dont have to worry about treating is what I assume you mean. If that is the case I have no problem with the live rock.
Thanks, any more advice?

prime311

You did the right thing, you can't have live rock or sand in a tank thats being treated with copper based medications. I would definitely recommend using a skimmer on the tank. You should use the wet/dry on it as well.

gradth

Well I found a new skimmer for my other tank so I put my Remora on my fish only tank. Seems to be working good. With any luck my sick fish will make it and all will go well.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2796205
You did the right thing, you can't have live rock or sand in a tank thats being treated with copper based medications. I would definitely recommend using a skimmer on the tank. You should use the wet/dry on it as well.
why is that?

prime311

The copper can kil stuff living in the rock and sand, worms and such, causing a mini cycle. The copper can be soaked in by live rock or sand and then leeched back into a tank that maybe shouldnt have copper in it if moved at a later date.

masterid

I think a little more flow would be better. You are most likely going to have some dead spots (areas where there is little or no flow) with nly one Mj and your return pump. I would suggest an additional 1 or 2 power heads pointing in opposite directions of each other. Putting them on a wavemaker is even better.

masterid

Another thing is that You can connect the pump directly to the skimmer. You will also be alot better off getting a good skimmer.
I made the mistake of getting a seaclown years ago and It was a waste of money, even after several mods it doesnt compare to octopus or remora's.
You must keep fish tank clean & tidy for lowest repiring & maintainability n the future... BEST LUCK!!!

gradth

Well my remora is louder than hell. Before I had it in my sump and didnt hear it, with it now hanging on my tank Its all I hear. Im thinking of ways I can make it quiet. I think I will be moving my wetdry over to the fishonly tank and putting a refugium in my reef tank.