Setting up a new tank: Need Advice

corcoadam

I tried the saltwater thing once and it didn't go so hot so I'm going to do it again, the right way. I've got a 40 gal tank and the stand. Please give a list of equipment that I will need. I've already got and understand the importance of live rock and sand. But what about all the other stuff? Please include brands too, if possible. I'm trying to figure out how to build a sump but I'm completely confused so if anyone can clear that up, I'll really appreciate that too.
Thanks for any help.

wolf_man

Well u need a powerhead. maxi Jet 1200 is good. u need a filtration device. At that size i would get a wet/dry filter. You will need a skimmer. Octopus makes great skimmers. Thats all i can think of right now.

ret talbot

Originally Posted by Corcoadam
http:///forum/post/2882265
I tried the saltwater thing once and it didn't go so hot so I'm going to do it again, the right way. I've got a 40 gal tank and the stand. Please give a list of equipment that I will need. I've already got and understand the importance of live rock and sand. But what about all the other stuff? Please include brands too, if possible. I'm trying to figure out how to build a sump but I'm completely confused so if anyone can clear that up, I'll really appreciate that too.
Thanks for any help.
Cool! I'm glad you're jumping in. There is a lot to cover, but here's a rough outline of how I would do it. I'm not suggesting this is the only way or "the right" way, but it is a method that has worked for me and many other people.
The first question is whether or not your tank has a built-in overflow or not. If it does not, then you'll need an overflow box and tubing or pipe to get the water from the tank to the sump (or you can drill the tank, but it sounds like you already have water, sand and live rock in it).
For the sump, I like a simple Berlin style sump (no wet/dry) which basically has room for a filter sock, a sump-based protein skimmer and a submersible pump. You can buy one that is pre-fab with baffles separating the compartment where the protein skimmer is and where the submersible pump is. If you do get a pre-fab one, it will probably come with a filter sponge that I would NOT use. If you DIY, use an old tank and check around the forums for good baffle plans.
I would plan to have a substrate reactor that hangs on the sump in which you can run chemical media (phosphate absorbing media, charcoal, etc.). This will need a small powerhead to feed it unless you rig it up to be powered by water from the return pump (not my preferred method).
Depending on what you plan to keep, I would also consider planning a refugium either in the sump (pre-fab or DIY) or a HOB refugium.
Finally, I would install a UV sterilizer either on a closed loop running off the sump or inline between the return pump and the tank. Obviously this is a major debate (whether or not to use a UV sterilizer), but I'm just saying what I would do.
If this is going to be a reef tank, I'd also plan on a calcium reactor rigged to the protein skimmer. Again, that's just me.
You may need/want a chiller as well depending on lights et al.
Topside, you could certainly use a powerhead for flow, but I'd go ahead and plan an over-the-back closed loop system (CLS) for flow with an external pump and a wavemaker device with multiple returns. If you decide to go this route, I'd be happy to describe the type of CLS I run on my systems.
Lights are obviously a HUGE decision and depend very much on what you plan to keep. Let us know, and I'm sure we will be glad to make some suggestions.
You'll need a heater (that will go in the sump), a way to monitor the temperature, a refractometer, good test kits (start with Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH), an algae scrub pad, a turkey baster, a couple 5-gallon buckets, some tubing, a timer (or just get a controller!
), some powerstrips (unless you get a controller), and some other stuff I'm forgetting right now....
I hope that's a good starting point. Just be sure to ask lots of questions and solicit lots of advice. Research and read up and commit to the decisions you make because YOU understand why it's a good choice, not simply because someone told you it was.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

culp

Ret Talbot;2882321 said:
Lights are obviously a HUGE decision and depend very much on what you plan to keep. Let us know, and I'm sure we will be glad to make some suggestions./QUOTE]
i agree lighting is a huge decision. you will need to do your home work so that you don't end up like some many of us myself included that didn't research enough and bought a light that was not what they needed.

if your tank going to be a reef tank or a fish only?

bizzmoneyb

get yourself a refractometer so you can accurately determine and control/stabilize your tanks salinity.
also how will you be getting your water? id suggest getting an RO/DI filtration unit so you can make your own clean water, then add salt.
there is much to read and learn. take your time, soak it all in then make your decisions. and do everything right and the best quality you can, even if it will take alittle more time to get going. cheaping out on things will only cost you more in the end. i learned that the hard way.
what do you plan on keeping in the tank? fish only? reef? that will depend on what type of lighting you'll want to get.
there are a hundred different setups you can use. everybody has their own likes/dislikes and opinions. read read and read and decide for yourself. feel free to ask many questions.

corcoadam

I plan on having mostly fish but I may consider adding a few corals later. I think I'm the most confused about how to set up the sump. I'm going to go the DIY route, just trying to cut costs where I can. What size tank would I need for a sump for a 40 gal display? What size hole would need drilled? What size tubing and how to connect?
I basically am too dumb to figure this out alone so I probably need step by step instructions. Thank you for all your help.

ret talbot

Originally Posted by Corcoadam
http:///forum/post/2883212
I plan on having mostly fish but I may consider adding a few corals later. I think I'm the most confused about how to set up the sump. I'm going to go the DIY route, just trying to cut costs where I can. What size tank would I need for a sump for a 40 gal display? What size hole would need drilled? What size tubing and how to connect?
I basically am too dumb to figure this out alone so I probably need step by step instructions. Thank you for all your help.
Is the display aquarium drilled or not?

pete159

i don't think you need to bother with a sump for a 40g.
i would just go with live rock, a good skimmer, a heater, 2-3 water pumps. if you want some extra filtration i added a canister filter to ym 46g setup but took out the bio balls and ceramic rings from it and only had sponges, then kent de nitrate and eheim pro substrate. So that made it into a little de nitrate unit. i also use live sand. When i upgrade one day to a 150g or bigger I will add a sump.
when you decide to get it set up try doing the cycle with pure ammonia, it's called fishless cycling and helps make a much more powerful bio filter.

ret talbot

Originally Posted by pete159
http:///forum/post/2883287
i don't think you need to bother with a sump for a 40g.
i would just go with live rock, a good skimmer, a heater, 2-3 water pumps. if you want some extra filtration i added a canister filter to ym 46g setup but took out the bio balls and ceramic rings from it and only had sponges, then kent de nitrate and eheim pro substrate. So that made it into a little de nitrate unit. i also use live sand. When i upgrade one day to a 150g or bigger I will add a sump.
when you decide to get it set up try doing the cycle with pure ammonia, it's called fishless cycling and helps make a much more powerful bio filter.
I skipped over this in my above posts because it sounded as if Corcoadam had already made the decision that he wanted a sump. Does he need a sump? Nope.
My two cents: if you have the room and are up for doing the work to set it up, I think any tank benefits from a sump especially
a smaller tank, as it increases water volume and aids in overall stability IMO. Is it necessary? Absolutely not as Pete suggests. In fact I have one sumpless tank right now (a 40) that is a very understocked soft coral tank. It runs with a HOB skimmer, HOB substrate reactor, an internal filter box (mostly to run chemical media in), and an over-the-back CLS with an Oceans Motions squirt. Works great! Ironically, however, I have a 20-gallon sump (and a 10-gallon refugium) on my 30-gallon reef.
I agree 100% with Pete on fishless cycling, but I am also leary of adding liquid ammonia (or any of the other product advertised to speed the cycling process). I have tested several of these products, and they do work, but there can be some unexpected consequences. If you do cycle with ammonia, use a VERY LITTLE BIT IMO. Alternatively, just wait and see if the live rock itself initiates the cycle. If not, you can always "feed" it a little fish food. Four weeks later, you should have a fully cycled tank with a healthy population of bacteria.

Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

marcb

Originally Posted by Ret Talbot
http:///forum/post/2882321
If this is going to be a reef tank, I'd also plan on a calcium reactor rigged to the protein skimmer. Again, that's just me.
I am in the process of setting up a tank right now. How would you rig the Ca++ reactor to the skimmer?

marcb

http:///forum/post/2883356
I do it the easy way
, which is to use a skimmer that already has JG fittings installed (e.g., the larger AquaC skimmers). You can also DIY.
Well, since this is my first real protein skimmer, and first ever Ca+ reactor, I don't really know what that involves. Can you be more specific, please?

ret talbot

Originally Posted by MarcB
http:///forum/post/2883443
Well, since this is my first real protein skimmer, and first ever Ca+ reactor, I don't really know what that involves. Can you be more specific, please?
On some skimmers like the AquaC EV 240, there is a John Guest Speed Fit fitting that allows you to easily connect the effluent line from the calcium reactor directly to the skimmer. The air in the skimmer then blows off additional co2 from the calc reactor before it enters the system. Is it necessary? Nope, but it's easy and works well. Real easy to DIY one yourself too. Speed fit parts are readily available online.
Ret

www.SaltwaterSense.com

marcb

http:///forum/post/2883600
On some skimmers like the AquaC EV 240, there is a John Guest Speed Fit fitting that allows you to easily connect the effluent line from the calcium reactor directly to the skimmer. The air in the skimmer then blows off additional co2 from the calc reactor before it enters the system. Is it necessary? Nope, but it's easy and works well. Real easy to DIY one yourself too. Speed fit parts are readily available online.
OK, I think I get it.
At what point in the skimmer would you be pumping in the effluant from the reactor?