setting up a new tank

hey i got talked into setting up my ten gallon for my girlfriends star fish, i wanted to know if i have to have live rock in it? i dont want to put much into it but she insists.

spanko

Additional info for consideration here. Oreaster reticulatus ,Bahama Starfish.
"Bahama Starfish are one of the most popular and hardiest of the starfish varieties. Care must be taken with them when they are placed in tanks as they are known to eat clams, small anemones, and invertebrates such as snails and crabs if they allow the starfish to capture them. In fish only tanks they are much less of a threat and will last for years in captivity. Color patterns vary between individual specimens with the most common color being light brown or green."
"Consider the Reticulated Seastar (Oreaster reticulatus), a large starfish common in the Turtle grass beds of the tropical west Atlantic. Growing to twenty inches in diameter, it consumes mollusks, even oysters in heavily calcified, tightly shut shells, methodically and with a voracious appetite. Like others in this fascinating Class, the Reticulated Seastar possesses a cleverly evolved arsenal of hydraulic tube feet connected to an elaborate water-vascular system that encircles the animal's mouth and extends via five radial canals down the center of each arm. Numbering in the hundreds on each arm, tube feet can attach to a food object, such as an oyster or mussel, and with relative ease, pry open even the most defensively tightened set of bivalve shells. With even a mere crack of an opening available, the Sea Star can force its slippery stomach into the shell of a mollusk. There it secretes digestive enzymes that rapidly turn the animal's flesh into a puree that the Sea Star promptly absorbs. Momentarily satisfied, the asteroid retracts its stomach, releases its grip, and glides away, leaving an intact set of bivalve shells stripped as if an alien force had cleaned them, leaving no evidence of forced entry."
Just thought this was all interesting. The turtle grass bed comments make me think that you should set the 10 gallon up as a biotope of the environment that the star lives in. Could be a neat little tank.