Setting up a QT Tank

one-fish

Okay verdict has been reached.....Next fish lawnmower blenny, have seen several at LFS. I will try to keep an eye on a couple prior to purchase. So now the QT Tank... I a have 10gal tank, HOB filter, air pump w/stone, heater, need to purchase sponge filter can egg crate a top w/lighting . From lurking around see that's basically all required. After running sponge filter in sump for 2 weeks can I fill QT w/tank water from WC and to continue doing so through out the 4 weeks while in QT. Guess big WC's are the way to deal with Amm. or should the QT tank do a cycle also. Anyone use that inside the tank Amm. monitoring warning device (not sure what it's called) Plan is to leave it BB and to paint all glass but front black.....Trying to keep it simple ..UV light???....... Only going to get one-fish (hey that's me) is this doable or not... if not what am I missing/not understanding Thx....

jay0705

Cycling the qt is best. The idea of putting the sponge in the dt for a few wks is good. That will help stabilize any spikes during the cycle. Only issue if you ever want larger fish, tangs, rabbit fish, larger angles. A ten is a big small. It also requires constant monitoring bc of the low water volume. If possible go 20L or a 29

one-fish

Good then like said keep it simple no big fish and only one at a time Can Do..going to keep fish only for now and w/a55gal I want to add small fish and not many. Looked at Seachem ammonium alert way to go ..So can I use the water from a WC to fill and use as WC changes for the QT tank????...Think I am good...Thinking now 2 sponge filters..one for back-up.......if needed have rubble rock in sump..Think I am Good

jay0705

W the sponge just fill w premixed sw. No need for old tank water. The badge is a good idea

one-fish

My thoughts WC's from the DT used for WC's for the QT when needed is a Win Win.....So what to add to the QT tank HOB filter Rubble rock from sump??....Thinking will get an Amm. spike bc read some say cycle tank
IMO ..I love the diversity of this hobby ..Everyone has his/her opinion...So Glad I refocused Having Fun .

jay0705

You do a wc to remove stuff from your tank. In essence you'd just be then putting that in your qt. Easiest way to go is bare bottom in a qt

one-fish

Understand .....but thinking good method of accumulation is by using DT water from WC for the qt tank..Kinda makes sense

beth

Administrator
Staff member
LB has a very specific diet and are difficult to keep even in a well established reef tank. What is your plan for feeding this fish in a QT?

one-fish

Good question.. Before purchase I will have to watch it eat, plan is to make a few trips to the LFS looking and hopefully end up with one I was watching. Have read up they can be finicky, growing GHA in sump on some rubble rock now. Watched a few you-tube videos on their diet and care. Hoping the LFS has one that is excepting all kinds of food. Thx

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Long-term, you will need to also consider your system's ability to support this species' dietary needs. More than anything, focus your attention on that, IMO, before moving on to confirming that this will be your next fish. Many LB purish a miserable death of starvation in captivity.

2quills

I had one that got pretty big from eating pellets and would go after frozen food from time to time but loved the pellets. Never really went for the GHA on the rocks too much.

2quills

Longevity?
1.5 years until we moved in 2012 and I donated my fish to my lfs. I would be hard pressed to think he was starving. He was actually kind of a pig when it came to those pellets. He always had a huge pot belly after feeding time.

I didn't do anything special. Just tried the pellets one day that I had laying around after my tank leaked and my Cichlids died and noticed he seemed to really like them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I've heard hobbyists, like yourself, who were lucky to have this exp., but, unfortunately, many others that don't and the fish ends up wasting away. Making observations at the LFS of one who is adjusted to eating alternatives would be best bet.

2quills

Agreed, but honestly the LMB's in general don't seem to be nearly as picky as some of others. It may very well have been luck.

After the move I set up my 120g and got a bi-colored blenny that was far more picky. He would eat emerald entre but rarely would go after algae sheets and i didnt really have any GHA in the tank. He lasted about 6 months.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not so with this fella! Died of starvation belonging to hobbyist on this forum.
lawnmower blenny.jpg

2quills

Holy cow I'm suprised that fish is even alive at the time of that picture.

My bicolored wasn't even close to being emaciated like that when he died and I'm not entirely convinced he starved. But he was definitely picky when it came to food that's for sure. Where as the LMB would go after just about anything but preferred those pellets.

jay0705

My lmb would eat alage sheets meant for the tangs. Also would eat frozen, still only lived about 6 months. I honestly wonder if certain fish like potters angels their survival is hindered more by collection process then diet. Some definitely just refuse prepared foods, but even some that do eat succumb at some point prematurely

2quills

As with anything I think it helps to have a relatively healthy fish to start with.

I had a potters make it almost a year but I think they naturally are deeper water fish and very skidish. That was another mystery death because he wasn't what I'd call thin or skinny when he died.

Sometimes it could be parasites or maybe certain internal functions shut down if a proper diet isn't met?

jay0705

I've read due to potters reclusive nature there commonly collected chemically. Legal or not, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Crack is illegal too lol. I've read that it can take months for it to effect the fish but eventually it does