Setting up an inexpensive nano

zeromus-x

Quick nano question -- I've got a 10g tank, I've got plenty of live rock from my main tank, and plenty of live sand as well. Once I get my refugium going in my main tank, I won't need a filter there (just powerheads and the skimmer), so I'll have a spare Emperor 280 filter. Overkill for a 10g, but it's there and it's free.
My main concern is lighting. I'd like to have a few mushrooms, maybe a leather, easy-to-maintain things. However, the smallest PC lights I see are alwys about 24", which would be big and dumb looking for a 10g tank. I've seen 20" MH setups but this seems overkill (and expensive) for what I'm trying to do. I've also seen an 11" 18W PC light on that auction site (Odyssea), but that might be TOO small!
The end goal will be a couple rocks, corals, and probably a clown.
Advice?

promisetbg

There are retro's out there that work on 10 gal. tanks.My boss has a ten that has a 96 wt quad.Keep looking...there is alot more for nanos these days.

petjunkie

Orbit Satellites come in 20" lengths with 80 watts and a lunar light. Thats what I was planning on getting for my ten gallon when I set it up because I don't think I have the ambition to retrofit anything.

nanomantis

forget all this expencive stuff i did my lighting for like $30 and its working great i got a yellow leather, a colt, a sun tube anemone, a green candy cane, multiple yellow polyps, red mushrooms, green and pink star polyps, and a bunch of different colors of zooanthids, and those are just the photosynthetic species, its suppose to be a filter feeder tank!
for lighting i bought a large painter's light, you know the reflective bowl looking thing with the socket in the middle? its an open top aquarium i think i am gonna get a mangrove from my LFS and grow it out of the top. But for lighting all i have is one of those 20 watt coralife screw in 50/50 power compact bulbs and EVERYONE IS HAPPY
so i dont believe in all of this OH YOU GOTTA GET A HALIDE OR A 96 WATT PC FOR A TANK TO LOOK GOOD!!!! my philosophy is its a nano, we got em to save money and still make em look good. and so far my tank is doing amazing