Setting up tank help

benwildog

I just got my tank this week and he supplies are coming on saturday. Just curious about a few things.
1. I have previously live rock (around 200 pounds), it has been in a trash can for a few months. I obviously would like to use this to set up, can i clean it off and put it into the tank for the cycle, so that i can cycle and cure the rock at the same time?
2. Do I put anything in the tank at first besides the sand, rock, and damsels or a shrimp. How long til i add the cleaner crew?
Thanks

robchuck

1. The old rock will be fine to go in from the beginning and won't have any effect on the cycle, other than providing more places for denitrifing bacteria to colonize on.
2. Nothing else needs to be added in the beginning except something to jump start the cycle (either a damsel or a dead cocktail shrimp, though I'd strongly recommend the cocktail shrimp method).
Wait until the tail end of the cycle (once nitrites zero out) to add the cleanup crew.

lion_crazz

Yup, that pretty much says it all. I also strongly recommend using the cocktail shrimp. Using a damsel to cycle a tank would work, but it's inhumane. It's almost as if you were put into a room with poisonous gas and told to live there.

lion_crazz

has the current rock been sitting in a trash can filled with saltwater? Or has it just been sitting there?

benwildog

The rock was sitting in a trash can outside and it was 3/4 filled with rain water. Should i fill it with salt water, if so do I need any circulation or can it just sit there. And also how long would it have to soak. Or can I just buy a little bit of live rock and sand and put it right in the tank? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

lion_crazz

Yes, definitely get the rainwater out, and fill it with saltwater. Put a cheap powerhead in there and you will be good to go. That rock isn't probably very alive, so I would buy more live sand and rock and put that in there, that way at least you will revive the current rock you have outside in the trash can. I would let it sit in the saltwater for a week or so, and then put it in the tank though.