settling question

ekclark

I am planning on my big move tomorrow from my 75 gallon display to my 125...I obviously plan on doing a lot of testing and was wondering if all the sand and other particles can throw off some of my tests if they are still suspended in the water? I am thinking that alk, ph, sg and such will be thrown off--I use the red sea test kit. Should I be worried or will these be okay? Any last minute reminders of things to watch for as I move the dsb, lr, and livestock? I do plan to give everything 24 hours to settle, but some of the chalkiness off my HI rocks hasn't settled and I just am nervous about this in general. Thanks.

hirock

Mechanical filtration for 24 hrs.
Your dust will settle completely within a few days (depending on circulation vs. flow rate). The dust that you refer to is just the rocks settling from movement via ocean cargo containers. It will not hinder your system, but I have noticed if it is placed into an established system, without being rinsed off first, it may make your corals recede for a few days also. The sizes of the rocks vary from baseball - basketball sized. The last shipment included sizes in excess of 200+ pounds per piece. These pieces are being split, and may cause a bit more dust than usual. Since these rocks are quarried from harbors and local beaches, it is always best to rinse these rocks in a good bath of R/O water prior to placement in an established system. If you’re starting from scratch, of coarse, this shouldn't inhibit or retard your progress in any way. Just figure the dust is rather an initial calc dosing.
Enjoy and Good Luck
:santa:

ekclark

Thanks HI rock...welcome to the board and thank you for your reply. Your rocks were as good as advertised:D

squidd

Originally posted by HI Rock
Since these rocks are quarried from harbors and local beaches, it is always best to rinse these rocks in a good bath of R/O water prior to placement in an established system.

A Question...:confused: and I appreciate a professional point of veiw...
This may blow holes in some peoples theories but, So often we are told "Not to" collect sand from the beach...or water...or plants...or livestock...or ROCKS...because of all the "pollution" collected on the beach, in the bays and harbors...:thinking:
It would "seem" that the further out you go from shore the cleaner the environment would be.
Do you "treat" your rocks prior to shipment or are inorganic materials, ie:sand,rocks, collected near shore safe for aquarium use?
:thinking:

hirock

Thanks for asking:
I'll try to make this short and to the point of concern.
The dry base your inquiring about is not treated prior to shipment. Although, mostly quarried on land as a terrestrial base, some are procured by raking the shoreline along rugged outcroppings. So to answer your question, yes, some rocks are collected at or just below the innertidal zone, and then shipped to a holding area. The state of Hawaii uses this calcium carbonate limestone in construction of their major roads and highways inside the state. Concrete is just too expensive to ship to Hawaii. Most of the base rock has been sitting landlocked for many years. Weathering due to nature helps in eroding such undesirables that may hitchhike itself upon the rocks. Although, dust from transport via ocean containers seems to be the biggest of all concerns. Sand and dried plant life is non-existent or present.
If you have been to Hawaii, you will notice that the waters surrounding the islands are pristine. They're nothing like the beaches and coasts belonging to the continental US. Strong ocean currents pull water away from the islands in a right to left motion. This current is known as the North Equatorial Current. A relatively slow eastward flowing current picks up steam when approaching the islands. The islands are populated by vigorous eddies or swirls, which obliterate the slower average circulation of the N.E. current. This helps in eliminating pollutants and debris from inward lying waters. Strong state regulations and measures concerning water quality insure that pollutants entering the harbors and seagoing waterways are at a minimum.
I tested this base rock many moons ago in a trial experiment before we decided to go with this endeavor. With the ban on Florida limestone, I knew that an alternative was needed for a starving group of aquarium enthusists and

[hr]
reefers. I found that the water & PH in my system was stable and no ill effects arised from the use of this type of base. PH = 7.8, SI = 0, Cu = 0, P04's = 0, Fe = 0, MG = 0. Fish introduced after cycling showed no ill effects. Coralline algae flourished and corals were not affected. I use this rock presently on all my accounts and in all my aquascape creations, so far to date, everyone I have contacted approves of the look, quality and diversity of the base rock we offer. However, don't take my word for it, you can check our feedback on ---- if in doubt.
http://cgi2.----.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...userid=hirocks
HTH :santa: