Setup for 46gallon Bowfront

Hello,
This site has helped educate me tremendously on the saltwater hobby and my 12g Nano DX is doing very well.
I also have a 46g bowfront cichlid tank that started me in the fish biz...Its time to convert to saltwater.
However, it isn't reef ready, and I'm nervous about installing a HOB overflow with sump. Is there a way around it for surface skimming?
Also, I've never used a protein skimmer and need advice on which to buy. Livestock will be easy corals and fish with live rock.
Thank you in advance and for all the past helpful advice.

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by kindaobsessed
Hello,
This site has helped educate me tremendously on the saltwater hobby and my 12g Nano DX is doing very well.
I also have a 46g bowfront cichlid tank that started me in the fish biz...Its time to convert to saltwater.
However, it isn't reef ready, and I'm nervous about installing a HOB overflow with sump. Is there a way around it for surface skimming?
Also, I've never used a protein skimmer and need advice on which to buy. Livestock will be easy corals and fish with live rock.
Thank you in advance and for all the past helpful advice.
well i can tell you this.......when it comes to skimmers, you get what you pay for. I have the Aqua-C Remora and it is AMAZING! I had it with my 29 gallon reef as a HOB but, honestly it stands perfectly so now I have it hanging on my sump under my 55 gallon column tank. You can just take it, put it on your sump (it will even stand up on it's own) and have the pump hanging down in the sump. Works incredibly!