Setup Help

neaners

I currently have an established 29 gallon tank with a hang on back refugium/protein skimmer. I am now getting a 135 gallon (currently setup as freshwater) with 2 fluval 4's. (Now keep in mind that my budget to do this is pretty much nothing.. ) What I am looking to do is to setup my 29 gallon to be the refugium for the new 135 gallon tank. My issue is what to do to get this transition/cycling of the new tank as quickly as possible for my fish. I know there is additives you can put in, but to treat 135 gallons with it will be hella expensive. Is it true that I can fill the new tank with salt water bought from my fish store to accomplish this? They want like .30 a gallon, so to fill it that way really wouldn't be too bad I guess...
Any help would be appreciated!

ejensen

I don't think using there water will do anything for a cycle. Now if you can use some LR and LS could help alot.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ejensen
I don't think using there water will do anything for a cycle. Now if you can use some LR and LS could help alot.
Exactly. Then again, buying cured liverock for a large tank will break you.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Neaners
I currently have an established 29 gallon tank with a hang on back refugium/protein skimmer. I am now getting a 135 gallon (currently setup as freshwater) with 2 fluval 4's. (Now keep in mind that my budget to do this is pretty much nothing.. ) What I am looking to do is to setup my 29 gallon to be the refugium for the new 135 gallon tank. My issue is what to do to get this transition/cycling of the new tank as quickly as possible for my fish. I know there is additives you can put in, but to treat 135 gallons with it will be hella expensive. Is it true that I can fill the new tank with salt water bought from my fish store to accomplish this? They want like .30 a gallon, so to fill it that way really wouldn't be too bad I guess...
Any help would be appreciated!
Neaners, starting up a larger tank will cost some money up front. Sand, rock, powerheads, return pump, etc.