Severe Aiptasia problem still...

habsfan

I put 2 peppermint shrimp in my 180. Aiptasia was gone in no time. I had it all over with huge stalks of it. I can't beleive those little guys ate them. I tried aptasia x and all it did was multiply it. What a terrible product. I mixed my own solution of caustic soda with no results. I bought bergia nudi's and they did nothing. I bought a file fish that never touched em. Those 2 little peppermint shrimp were my last resort and they wiped it out like it was nothing. I love my shrimp!

tangs rule

Please keep this thread up to date, and if they return, update it.....I have 1 of 3 mains that does have it in there - though only the occasional aiptasia will I see and kill with injection of kalkwasser......
Sadly this tank was horribly infested a few years ago and I totally broke it down/boiled live rock & substrate - the works, and it was free till one day a year later I returned a rock with large polyp buttons on it - that likely had one on it, cause I saw the 1st one 2weeks later in that tank....
I have purchased and introduced to the affected tank (last month) 4 peppermint shrimps from swf.com - and assume/hope they are the aiptasia eating variety (Lysmata wurdemanni) - cause there is a very similar/almost identical looking commonly called Peppermint shrimp (california cleaner) which is Lysmata californica. .The 2 are very similar looking, and when are young are very difficult to disninguish. The latter one will NOT eat aiptasia. I'll know more as they grow, in a couple months I'll be better able to 100% identify - they're still 1" long. (and both varieties stay hidden during daylight cycle)
Glad you found a solution! !

D

denniscoy420

KILL UR LIVE ROCK OVER THESE LITTLE CRAPS
GO TO UR LFS AND GET AIPTASIA RX
it is made by blue life works great make sure ur put enought to cover him
i like to do water changes later that day or next to make me feel better
about putting that stuff in my tank but it works great I had about 50-60 in all of my fish tanks 75 gallon 30 gallon 10 nano and this stuff wipes them out I think I only have acouple left I didnt catch the first go around A+ Stuff

D

denniscoy420

also I drip this stuff on flatworms if I can catch them it make them curl up and die
great for the craps and snails to mower down

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscoy420 http:///forum/thread/382758/severe-aiptasia-problem-still/20#post_3361242
KILL UR LIVE ROCK OVER THESE LITTLE CRAPS
GO TO UR LFS AND GET AIPTASIA RX
it is made by blue life works great make sure ur put enought to cover him
i like to do water changes later that day or next to make me feel better
about putting that stuff in my tank but it works great I had about 50-60 in all of my fish tanks 75 gallon 30 gallon 10 nano and this stuff wipes them out I think I only have acouple left I didnt catch the first go around A+ Stuff
Yup - I went thru bottles of it, but it just didn't do much for me.....Back in '06 my 90gal was so infested - the ONLY place they wouldn't grow was the heater body.....I was dealing with such a exponential growth at the time - I was killing 100/week with every aiptasia control solution on the market..(tank treatment & single dose)...I dunno if it was the strain of anemone I had - or the tank parameters, but they multiplied faster than you could count..or keep up with......misery!

Guys
This is why we QT everything that we put in our tanks. I have NEVER had an aiptasia problem. I have purchased several corals online and put them in my QT tank. I have found one of these little devils growing on the rock of one of my new corals it was attached to and I exterminated it (by cutting a small piece of rock the devil was attached to. I fixed the problem and that was that. Never had any in my display tank. Thats the difference.
Since I recently found one growing on a coral, the coral will be QT for a couple additional weeks just to make sure none show up.

surbas

Updated post to original message. All Aiptasia are now gone and all fish are doing fine! Aiptasia X kicks A$$, it really works!!!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmith200 http:///forum/thread/382758/severe-aiptasia-problem-still/20#post_3361673
Guys
This is why we QT everything that we put in our tanks. I have NEVER had an aiptasia problem. I have purchased several corals online and put them in my QT tank. I have found one of these little devils growing on the rock of one of my new corals it was attached to and I exterminated it (by cutting a small piece of rock the devil was attached to. I fixed the problem and that was that. Never had any in my display tank. Thats the difference.
Since I recently found one growing on a coral, the coral will be QT for a couple additional weeks just to make sure none show up.

I totally hear ya on the QT thing, and I was qtining at the time years ago when my disaster began - but like u posted, I found one too late growing on the backside of a coral piece, but it had already seeded the tank.....within 6 months they were popping up everywhere, and at 2 years, they were unmanigable...
Amazing the things u dont wanna have grow like weeds, and the good stuff is tricky to keep alive!! live & learn.

D

denniscoy420

Glad it work for u, I would go through later next week u will find a couple that were hiding

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmith200 http:///forum/thread/382758/severe-aiptasia-problem-still/20#post_3361673
Guys
I'm sorry but that is crazy. To start with coral needs certain light, and to be honest those very expensive lights are on my main tank not a QT and I think most folks are like me when it comes to lights. The reason you don't have a problem is that you get it out right away. That works whether the coral is in the main tank or not.
A simple coral dip will make sure no flat worms and such are on your coral. I need my coral to acclimate to my tank and no two tanks are the same even in the same house. I know some folks say quarantine everything...I don't on rock, coral or inverts, or the first fish in the tank. I always bought live rock locally and never had to cure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382758/severe-aiptasia-problem-still/20#post_3362443
I'm sorry but that is crazy. To start with coral needs certain light, and to be honest those very expensive lights are on my main tank not a QT and I think most folks are like me when it comes to lights. The reason you don't have a problem is that you get it out right away. That works whether the coral is in the main tank or not.
A simple coral dip will make sure no flat worms and such are on your coral. I need my coral to acclimate to my tank and no two tanks are the same even in the same house. I know some folks say quarantine everything...I don't on rock, coral or inverts, or the first fish in the tank. I always bought live rock locally and never had to cure it.
Well Flower, forunately for me, I am able to have a QT tank for new corals. I have a QT for fish and a seperate for corals. Water parameters are the same as the DT. I mix display water with fresh saltwater once a week (same pH, same temp) 95 times out of a 100 my corals have done excellent in my QT to DT transition. I use 3 12K royal blue - white LED lamps on my corals in a 10G tank. The same lighting as in my DT. Even though I must say, I hardly QT any inverts except for snails. I have seen Aiptasia grow on a snails shell. Once I saw that, that was the last time.

chain

Rule for me. If it is/was wet, then quarantine it. I got so fed up with dealing with pests in/on my live rock I quit purchasing it and opted for just dead base rock. Takes alot longer to build the beneficial bacteria, but Im a patient person so time doesn't really bother me. Sure live rock comes with a bunch of beneficial organisms which help your tank; however it also comes with bad organisms which can severely hurt your system. At what point does the good out weigh the bad? Does it ever? I suppose it depends on each piece of individual rock that you purchase. You could get a piece of rock with brittle stars, coral, and all kinds of other goodies, but you could also get one with 300 apstasia growing on it and a baby mantis shrimp inside. Is it worth the risk? I can see how it would be, but I can also see how it isn't. I have opted to completely stop using live rock. This way I can control what organisms are added to my system. It does take alot longer for the cycle to break in and for the rock to start showing signs of coloration and alot of people would rather not wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/382758/severe-aiptasia-problem-still/20#post_3363060
Rule for me. If it is/was wet, then quarantine it. I got so fed up with dealing with pests in/on my live rock I quit purchasing it and opted for just dead base rock. Takes alot longer to build the beneficial bacteria, but Im a patient person so time doesn't really bother me. Sure live rock comes with a bunch of beneficial organisms which help your tank; however it also comes with bad organisms which can severely hurt your system. At what point does the good out weigh the bad? Does it ever? I suppose it depends on each piece of individual rock that you purchase. You could get a piece of rock with brittle stars, coral, and all kinds of other goodies, but you could also get one with 300 apstasia growing on it and a baby mantis shrimp inside. Is it worth the risk? I can see how it would be, but I can also see how it isn't. I have opted to completely stop using live rock. This way I can control what organisms are added to my system. It does take alot longer for the cycle to break in and for the rock to start showing signs of coloration and alot of people would rather not wait.
Patience... isnt this the word that this hobby is all about (I am the most impatient person on earth). Patience is a virtue, amen.