Shane's 40g Mixed Reef Tank Diary (HD pics & videos)

zanoshanox

Hey guys, been out of the hobby for a couple of years, that's why you haven't seen me on the boards for a while. But IM BACK! Many of you may remember my olds tanks, the 65, 20, and 9g systems. Recently set up this 40g, which i bought off CL, already established with a decent variety of corals. Tore the tank down, moved it about 30 miles, and set it back up that same day. No losses yet, didn't even seem like the corals stressed on it at all. Really surprised me. A couple weeks ago, I started adding fish. I had a hard time deciding between this and a 90g that I was eyeing, ended up going for this setup, but I am in the process of doing a 90 build, in which this tanks inhabitants will eventually go on to live in. Also started a youtube channel, as I am a videography enthusiast, and want to start pumping out some really HQ reef tank videos, I noticed there is currently a lack of them on youtube. Open to all suggestions/feedback, thanks guys. Feels good to be back!
Here is the first video I took of the tank:

zanoshanox

Okay, i'm just going to attach the pics instead.
FTS

Montipora Capricornis

GSP

Doughnut Coral?

Fungia Plate

Helfrichi Firefish

Frogspawn

Duncan

Onyx Clown hosting RBTA

Paradise

Have a good night everyone!

zanoshanox

Aaaah woke up this morning to find my temp @ 83.8!! I don't know wtf happened, usually the only time i've had to keep the eye on the temp is on real hot days when the lights have been on for most of the day. Man.
I think i'm gonna start taking out a little water and putting it in the fridge for a few minutes... Is this safe? Or will the temp drop kill all the organisms in the water, causing amm/nitrate to raise? Any insight greatly appreciated!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanoshanox http:///t/392133/shanes-40g-mixed-reef-tank-diary-hd-pics-videos#post_3480577
Aaaah woke up this morning to find my temp @ 83.8!! I don't know wtf happened, usually the only time i've had to keep the eye on the temp is on real hot days when the lights have been on for most of the day. Man.
I think i'm gonna start taking out a little water and putting it in the fridge for a few minutes... Is this safe? Or will the temp drop kill all the organisms in the water, causing amm/nitrate to raise? Any insight greatly appreciated!
It wont hurt a thing for a reef to be 80+ unless you have a pagoda cup coral or other cooler water corals. In fact it can even reach 90 for a day or so with no ill effect. Temps bounce around in a reef...from 78 to into the 90s. Slow change is easier for coral to handle than sudden change, so the cold water in the fridge is not a good idea....it would cause a sudden chill.

zanoshanox

Thank you very much for your reply. I was taking out about a quart of tank water, throwing it in the freezer for 10 or 15 min, and then pooring it into my sump slowly over like 10 mins. Got the tewp down to 81.9 after a few hours. I probably only did a gallon or so. Probably wont do it again. Only thing I can think of it maybe the water I used for my water change last night was a little warm. My temp was reading 80, but i didnt use the digital thermometer. Good to know it's not going to affect the corals though, everything is opened up really nice right now.

slice

Nice beat, easy to dance to, well edited transitions, cool shots.
I give it a 10.
Thanks for sharing!

zanoshanox

Glad you enjoyed it man! Starting to understand a little bit more about filming tanks. Got a cool shot of my cleaner shrimp working on my tang today. Video #3 will be a cool one =]
Thanks for the feedback.

zanoshanox

Hey guys, been a little while since I did an update, man, crazy things have been happening in this tank. For starters, I love both of my onyx clowns this week. The larger one got stuck to the side of my koriala pump...I noticed him there one morning when i got out of the shower, and nudged him off where he swam down to the bottom and was dead within 5 minutes. Definitely a bummer...nut sure how to avoid this happening in the future. This guy had already started to eat from my hand after only a couple of weeks in the tank, bummer...
The next day, I added a huge brain coral to the tank. Thing is like 6-7" in diameter. The second day it was in the tank, it made a meal out of my other clownfish. They both would try to host just about every LPS coral in the tank, even though there was a RBTA. They'd usually hang out in the anemone during the day, and find an LPS to sleep in at night when the anemone closed up. I didn't notice my coral feasting on my fish until it was much too late....
Here's a pic of the brain about 2 hours after eating the fish, has been swelled up HUUUGE for the past couple days.

And an updated FTS