Sharing my little reef

rlablan

Purchased some new additions recently and I was messing around with my camera and just thought I would share my 30ish gallon reef.
Pink tube anemone
Green brain coral

Purple mushrooms
little leather frag. Recently found in the back of another tank, faded and half dead. I'm rehabing it. Thrilled that it's already extending it's little polyps.
These acans were also found in the bottom/back of another tank. This rock didn't look like it had anything on it. Within a month, I started to see like scans cropping up. I think they look pretty good. Anyone know what they are?
TONS of wicked yellow sponge in this tank. I also have hot pink, deep purple, a little green and a cream color. This yellow is the most prevalent though.
Randoms Zoanthid frag.
Picked up with large aquamosa clam last weekend. It's a little over 6 inches. I like the color and I am hoping it will color up a little more but I don't know what to expect.
Grabbed this Maxi Mini anemone at the beginning of the month. It's got nice vivid color and It's coloring up well. It was a little more brown when I first got it. I hope that it develops a bright gold rim like I think it will.
Here is my Dusky Jaw fish, Oscar. He is building with another coral found in the back of a tank. I don't know what those are (In the left hand corner of the picture) but they were white about a month ago. Now they are more fluffy and they are starting to turn green... Have a guess anyone?
This is a little frag rack that I built out of random egg crate pieces, 2 suction cups that I removed from another product, and some zip ties. It works pretty well, took about 10 minutes and was COMPLETELY free. :)

rlablan

Some up close shoots of the squamosa clam

FTS from the right side of the tank
The left side of the tank, from the "bottom to the top".
Front FTS
Fts from the front, right side of the tank.

flower

...Pictures just don't do it justice does it? My clam would look a certain way as I looked into the tank, and change totally in appearance if I looked down from the top. The pictures just could not caprure the radiance and beauty of the color. Your pictures look nice, but I bet in person it's jaw dropping beautiful.
It's a nice size too.

sweatervest13

Everything looks very nice.
You seem to have corals end up in the back of some tanks. LOL. I have had one or two do that as well. I am glad that you got them out and they seem to be doing pretty good.
The clam looks good. Its a big sucker.

1guydude

Get a new tank! U like that? Its kool and european looking but a son of a gun to take pics with huh!????
U deserve a 75g! Looks great. How old is it?
Those acans look more like micromussa or even a crazy colored blasto to me... time will tell. They will either grow to big acan heads or small micros.
HTHs
-d

rlablan

Hi guys! It seems that I forgot about posting in this thread. I think the day after I posted this, I started ripping out my bathroom and then there is the whole wisdom teeth removal. :) I'm sorry, I must seem so rude.
Flower- you are totally correct. While this clam is not terrible brilliant, it is a little bit more so than in the picture here. I love the size. It takes up a lot of room but that's okay, I like the size of it. Usually little tanks tend to have only little frag or stuff that stays small. I wanted a big monster "center" piece if you will. haha. I got it for free because I went to an LFS that I hadn't been to in a long time and he said "You know you have like a lot of credit with me from like 2 years ago, right?"
I got like 4 corals, this clam and a pistol shrimp for all the credit. I think the price for this big clam was like 60 bucks anyway though. :) Good bargain!
Sweatervest- LOL yes, I have a lot of corals in the back of tanks. Between my jaw fish that likes to throw and my starry blenny who thinks that every little nook I put coral in should be his... They often end up barried and and or bleached. When I redid the other tank recently, I think I found like 4 or 5... maybe more. It's like christmas. I bought them forever ago so I don't know what they are/were. I am waiting to see them turn into something fun.
Guydude- It's a new old tank. Funny story. I bought this tank in 2006ish, new. I was a total noob. Had some issues with it that just turnerd out to be lack of experience. I couldnt get any fish to live in this thing or any corals to grow and thrive. I was so upset... I bought all of this equipment and felt I was having no luck. I bought a bigger tank and sold this one to my mother. I got her into saltwater and this was her first tank. SHE LOVED IT! Her corals were doing well, she had it packed with fish and it was great! Had it for a few years and she wanted to go bigger. By that time, I had bought a JBJ nano/biocube... I didn't like it at all so she traded me back. lol Now I have had the MOST success ever with this tank. lol
And yes, it is really hard to take pictures of. I try to arrange the corals so they aren't on the curved glass to much. when I'm sitting on the couch, the tank looks awesome but when I am up close or taking pics, it's pretty distorted. .

rlablan

Red tiger- Thank you very much. kind of you to say. He really likes this MH light... He did not care for the LEDs in my other tank as much. I am noticing that while the Leds are okay for allowing corals to live, I do not get much extention.
I am having sun poylp envy from your picture. Talk about extension. Wish mine did that.
Moewzer- Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.
Again, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I just had forgotten that I posted all of this.
I did have to redo the rock work just a little and there are a few new additions. As soon as I am feeling up to it, I will certainly get the camera out and update here! Thanks Ya'll!

rlablan

tanner- Thank you very much. That means a lot. I try to take care of the critters as best as I can, but I think I can always do better.

red tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392812/sharing-my-little-reef#post_3494569
Red tiger- Thank you very much. kind of you to say. He really likes this MH light... He did not care for the LED's
in my other tank as much. I am noticing that while the Leds are okay for allowing corals to live, I do not get much extention.
I have mine on LED's! Which LED's were you using?

novahobbies

WOW...the macros shots of your clam look fantastic. I'm totally on the fence about keeping a clam....I love them, but (a) I have LED lighting and people seem unsure about that right now, and (b) I plan on keeping a Potter's Angel, which is a known occasional clam-nipper. So......

Do you think the 240 watts of LED lighting will be enough?

Quote:Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392812/sharing-my-little-reef#post_3495042
WOW...the macros shots of your clam look fantastic. I'm totally on the fence about keeping a clam....I love them, but (a) I have LED lighting and people seem unsure about that right now, and (b) I plan on keeping a Potter's Angel, which is a known occasional clam-nipper. So......

I have maxima and squamosa clams under LEDs. They are thriving under them. Squamosa clams are pretty easy.

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392812/sharing-my-little-reef#post_3495042

I think that lighting would be more than enough lighting for him. You will just have to make sure that your clam is getting full extension under the light. If not, I don't think he will do well. It's said that the small clams are not dependent on light but more on micro foods and larger clams like mine are almost solely dependent on light to support the internal symbiotic relationships that they live off or and also that helps them keep their color.
Also, I have heard that a healthy clam can easily recover from a nip or two. If your clam is not able to do so or if the fish is voraciously feeding on the clam, then that is another story. I do not have any experience with this though... just hear say. I keep my clam with clownfish and a jawfish.
And thank you for the compliment on the shots. :) Macros are by far my most favorite type of photos. I think they can be artsy and also a little obscure. They are not so on the nose. I love that they also catch so much detail.

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmith200 http:///t/392812/sharing-my-little-reef#post_3495402
where did you get that tank? that would look awesome in game room
The tank these days sells for about 299.99 I see them at a lot of LFSs here.
It's a Cardiff, made by Current USA. The stand is available in espresso, black and cherry. It can be run completely rimless as well. The glass canopy, color matched rim, pumps, skimmer, ATO and back chamber cover should all be included.
I really like this tank and I get a lot of compliments on it. The only challenge is taking a pictures when you are positioned on the "corner" of the angle on the front. The camera gets really confused.

rlablan

I am gonna "shave the tank" today and then hopefully I will take some new pictures.
There is a new maxi mini in the tank.
I changed the rock work around just a little and moved the frag rack as well.
Also, some of the "mystery" corals have quite a bit more color and are starting to look more like corals than fleshy white masses. I will have some more photos of what those corals are turning into. :)
Thanks all for the compliments.