Shark feeding

indy1

My shark was born 2 weeks ago. When and what should I start feeding him to get him to eat???

njtrooper

I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THEM BUT ARENT GHOST SHRIMP FRESHWATER IF SO HOW LONG TO THE LIVE IN SW. I ALSO HAVE A BABY SHARK AND AM TRYING TO GET HIM TO FEED.

underthesea

If it is a banded cat shark try small pieces of squid, shrimp, and also fresh fish meat. You can buy this at your local grocery store. This is what I used on mine but at first use a scuer and feed him with that with a little chunk at the tip. You do not want to scare him to much. After he gets us to that you can try hand feeding him but just move slowly when doing this so you do not scare him.

jakob4001

hey Indy1 how long had you had it as an egg???
did you clip yours on the glass near direct current??? were you able to witness it hatching from an egg??? seems most people say to try to feed it squid, but make sure not to tap it on the nose...we had 1 egg that got to great size, but died before hatching for some reason...we bought another much much more juvenile egg w/o eyes formed even yet so probably won't hatch for another 2 months or so :(

indy1

I had the shark in egg for about 3-4 months... You do not need to put it in direct current. Just make sure there is no air trapped in the egg. When i got my egg you couldn't see anything, just the yolk... What an amazing thing to see grow!!!! Hopefully, I can get him to eat and live for a long time...

novice150

Im surprised your shark has not eaten yet. I have heard that it can take a while, but mine ate within a day or two. I realize mine may be the exception to the rule, but have you tried feeding it yet?
As far as what and how to feed. Here's what I did, and it seems to be working great.
I bought a 1/4" dia. piece of acrylic rod. Cut it to about 3 ft, and sharpened one end to the shape of a harpoon. I stick a bite of food on the end and wave it in front of his face. As mentioned earlier, try not to bump him with it.
I feed mine a variety of squid, krill, silversides, and fresh shrimp and clams from the grocery store. When preparing the food, just cut it up into bite sizes, and freeze. Oh yeah, and leave the shell on the shrimp. I very rarely feed ghost shrimp or feeders. For one they are freshwater, and two, I have heard they carry parasites. But to answer the question of how long ghost shrimp can live in saltwater, quite a while. I've never timed it, but I know they can stay alive few days.
Hope this helps :)