Shark Question? Eggs

percman

sharky i believe is the one who hatched his own bamboo shark......i was thinking about getting a 55gal tank and hatching a bamboo shark(about 3years from now maybe sooner just depends on the $$) after the bamboo out grew the 55 i'd buy a 125 or better (hoping i can keep the shark for 1.5-2 years in the 55) i am a stickler for facts and details sharky if i am correct in the notion that you were the hatcher could you please give me the extreme specifics either in an email or just a post here......anyone else w/ knowledge or experience in the subject. this is just a project in the works not a for sure thing yet.....i want to know what i may be getting into

thanks
percman

percman

sure i got more
......how do you hatch the egg? you just toss it in and let it go to work or what? what are good tank mates?( i know triggers areNOT) is a chiller needed? how much lr. in a 55 is needed? is this the smallest shark? is this an easier shark to raise? are they low or high maint.? im up for either so no matter...... what all could live in the tank other than fish, like coral, inverts etc. thats all for now.
thanks
percman

percman

where did you get yours? can you explain the "birth" for me .........if you know of any online places that sell them let me know......i know ********* and ********* sell them but that is it. how is yours doing? how big do they get? if you had to do it all over again would you do it?
thats all for now

percman

percman

all sounds good and doable to me.....how did you teach it to feed by hand did you just hold it in the water till it ate? i think this is going to be my next project.....which shark i go with is the question......the coral cat shark do you have pics of it? do you have pics of your tank i'd like to see how you have yours set up......if the cat shark is ugly and hard i will deffinitely be going w/ the banded.....im going to see what dirt i can find about them while i waite

i'll keep you posted when i decide which way to go and keep me up on yours ok
thanks for the help
percman

percman

hmmm interesting.......i think im leaning towards a banded one though they look a little nicer. i think the cat is cool looking....what i think i'll do is after i get my place ill get a 90 right away get it cycled for 3 months at least have a detrivore kit get the tank completely stable get a banded egg and get a purple tang or some other tang something big and a tomato clown or maroon. wish i could take you with me when i go to get that egg
it'd be much easier
i'll figure it out like i said it will be quite sometime before i get this going unless i have a huge $$$ swing then i'd up speed of it. if you have any more info, links, pics post them i'd like to read them and learn some more about this magnificent animal.
thanks
percman

percman

by all meens jump on in......the more information the better......sharky said up there that he has some shroom's and some colt coral in his tank....sharks basicly make a big mess and its best to get the hardy corals such as these.......as for the fish im not sure
sharky take it away
percman

percman

How does this sound.......i am thinking about getting a 90 gallon tank about 45lbs of lr and stacking it all in the back left corner. upon this rock i will have an aray of mushrooms......i'd have a 5in sand bed a bakpak 2r skimmer 2 penguin 660 powerheads (is this too much or too little current) if you think too little these things can get cranked up quite well i have one on my tank and i have it as low as possible.....i'd get it all cycled and what not purchase 2 cbs shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp about 40 snails and some blue leg hermits(20) after ohhhhh 3 months of this if all params are checking out well i'd go get my banded egg and a pair of purple tangs......would this be too much for one day to add? ive never had a tang and dont know much about their fecal habits........actually i'd prefer to have a pair of achilles tangs.....would these be ok in there instead of the purples? this would be all for the tank indeffinitely........what do you think?
percman

4husky

Hey Im gonna jump in too. Dunno how much help I can be. Try typing Chiloscyllium into a search engine, its the scientific prefix for the bamboos. If you aren't sure about them theres been many posts in the aggressive board on this site too. There are white spots and brown bandeds, if you wanna see the white spot and banded, and an egg, , And I hope this site goes thru.... www.aquacon.com Go to the fish, then sharks/rays pg. they got them for sale. I live local to these guys and will most likely go to their store to pick out my egg, I'll post what they're like so you'll know if they're decent.

Percman, check out the bamboo info in the aggressive board for rk00, maybe the info can help????

Cat
[This message has been edited by 4husky (edited 11-19-2000).]