sharks and rays

dallas03

can you put a shark or ray or even both in a 160 gal. fish only tank. Also do they need certain lights?

brenden

Dallas03 - No Shark and or Ray can fit in a 160 gallon for life. No they do not need special lighting, however they do need mature tanks and extensive filteration, with minimum love rock, and soft substrate. You will need atleast 250 gallons to keep any Shark and or Ray for life. Hope that helps.

mike22cha

What are the deminsions of the tank. I'll disagree, you can keep one coral catshark or marbled catshark in there if it is 2ft wide by 5ft or more long. Read Aquarium Sharks&Rays by Scott W. Michael if youre really interested.

brenden

Mike22cha - I will strongly disagree with your statment. No Shark or Ray should ever be housed in something else than 250 gallons. "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" is a great book, however his minimum tank requirments are off compared to what has proven to be a ethical fact. I know this from experience and knowledge.

krj-1168

Yeah - Scott Michael's figure a extremely conservative.
But what most people don't realize is that in "Aquariums Sharks & Rays" when he states that a 180 gallon is the minimum for Brown Banded Bamboo - his basically talking about a juvenile, not an adult. Based on his own figures - which are too conservative in the width department - and Adult Brown Banded Bamboo would need at least a 300 gallon tank.
More Ethical estimations would suggest about 450 gallons for a Brown-banded. And using the same ethical estimations for a Coral catshark - you would get about 250 gallons.
Basically the minimum Ethical figures are most benthic sharks in Home Aquaria is as follows - Tank Width = 1.25 x the shark's maximum length, and Tank Length = 2.5 x shark's maximum Length, and tank depth at least 2 ft.
So for a Coral Catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) maximum length is about 28". So the tank must have a width of 35" , a length of 70, and depth of 24". Rounding to the nearest foot that's 72" long, x 36" wide x 24" high or 270 gallons.