Shed a little light.... no pun intended

williamrandel

can anyone explain what a T-5 light is. and is it a better route for lighting than VHO's, PC, or MH's. I need lights for my new 55 AGA rr and want to make an educated choice on this matter. thanks for all the help

jumpfrog

T-5 refers to the lamp size in diameter. T-8 = 1", T-12 = 1.5"
T-5 is smaller so you can place more lamps in the same space. I think their availability is primarily in Europe right now with just some coming into the states. Those that have them claim they are very bright. Haven't seen them myself yet but I think they would be great for thinner tanks, ie 55's.
HTH
BTW where in Alabama?

The T5 system I feel is a great deal for the cost. For $200 you can get a 4 bulb 46.5" set up and be up and running including bulbs. Just do a search in this message board and you will get more information other than specualtion.
Paul

williamrandel

i did find a 4 46.5" VHO's lamps included system for $230.00. that is what i decided to go with. When i get it installed i will post pics. THANKS for all the info

krux

your best use for t5 lights if you are hoping to keep high light loving species is as auxiliary lighting for actinic, or for dawn/dusk or lunar cycle schemes. outside of halides, it is hard to get a decent PAR below 12 inches of water.
these would be great over a 36" or less length tank whuch utilizes a single mh fixture when you still want to get 2 actinic bulbs in under the same hood. like in a 29 or a 55 where the front to back measurement is only 12 inches...

I think you made a good decision William,
I also ordered mine as well yeserday and am looking forward to seeing the results.
And heck if they don't live up to the expectations I sure that they would go for an ok price on the auction site.