Shelf life of Live Sand?

veni vidi vici

I have a few 5 gal bucket of what was LS from my old tank. It was a shallow sand bed and its been sitting in sealed bucket for awhile now /wet. Just wondering if its possible to reuse or worth it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397299/shelf-life-of-live-sand#post_3541000
I have a few 5 gal bucket of what was LS from my old tank. It was a shallow sand bed and its been sitting in sealed bucket for awhile now /wet. Just wondering if its possible to reuse or worth it.

Hi,

Yep reuse it...but only in a new tank, there are all kinds of dead things in the sand that will help to cycle the tank. Or you could rinse it, but that's a pain in the butt. I have read of people putting the sand in a pillow case and running a hose on it...but that even kills the good bacteria.

veni vidi vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397299/shelf-life-of-live-sand#post_3541003

Hi,

Yep reuse it...but only in a new tank, there are all kinds of dead things in the sand that will help to cycle the tank. Or you could rinse it, but that's a pain in the butt. I have read of people putting the sand in a pillow case and running a hose on it...but that even kills the good bacteria.
Hi Flower,
I figured with the 10 gals of this sand and the 200+ lbs of dead former LR in a new tank should get the cycle started ,but im afraid to crack open those buckets. lol
I thinks its going to be stinky to say the least.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397299/shelf-life-of-live-sand#post_3541005
Hi Flower,
I figured with the 10 gals of this sand and the 200+ lbs of dead former LR in a new tank should get the cycle started ,but im afraid to crack open those buckets. lol
I thinks its going to be stinky to say the least.

I had sand in 5g buckets too, for almost a year (so not as long as yours was in storage)...mine didn't smell bad rotten as I expected at all...just fishy. The good bacteria in the sand did it's job in spite of it being in an uncirculated bucket. It should be really good for kick starting the cycle.

veni vidi vici

Flower-
That would be great! Im going to start cleaning up my equipment today,gonna start with my 6 stage RO/DI and my protien skimmer. I hope all my pumps are still in working order.Particularly my Reeflow Dart,I want to do another closed loop.
How the weather in Illinois BTW. Im so glad i moved.... I hate snow and cold.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397299/shelf-life-of-live-sand#post_3541018
Flower-
That would be great! Im going to start cleaning up my equipment today,gonna start with my 6 stage RO/DI and my protien skimmer. I hope all my pumps are still in working order.Particularly my Reeflow Dart,I want to do another closed loop.
How the weather in Illinois BTW. Im so glad i moved.... I hate snow and cold.

Hi,

I haven't been out...my phone says it's 29 degrees..heat wave compared to last week.

Pumps that have been out of water get pretty crusty. I would soak them in vinegar over night before even trying to plug them in and getting them up and running.

veni vidi vici

Im going to clean everything whether it needs it or not, just because I know it will save me headaches in the long run. I have a week before I can pick up my tank anyway so I have time to sit /clean/and think of exactly how i want to plumb this tank.Im pretty sure i want to take my old 75 and make a planted refugium with it.I just have to figure out the dimensions to fit the refugium and my MSX160 skimmer in there the best way so i dont have micro bubbles or headaches later.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397299/shelf-life-of-live-sand#post_3541022
Im going to clean everything whether it needs it or not, just because I know it will save me headaches in the long run. I have a week before I can pick up my tank anyway so I have time to sit /clean/and think of exactly how i want to plumb this tank.Im pretty sure i want to take my old 75 and make a planted refugium with it.I just have to figure out the dimensions to fit the refugium and my MSX160 skimmer in there the best way so i dont have micro bubbles or headaches later.

I personally don't/never had a microbubble problem with my Octopus in sump skimmer. I know people separate the sump into two chambers, and use three pieces of glass to separate the skimmer chamber from the rest of the sump...two with a half inch space on the bottom and the center piece is shorter but flush on the bottom...this forces the water to go through the glass to another chamber that holds the return pump, to prevent from having any bubbles. I hope I explained that right...the DIY section has all kinds of sump builds you can look at for ideas...folks with much more experience than me, are real helpful and much more able to give advice.