Shipping and Handling Advice

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Post up your experience in shipping and handling corals. Bags, water, or non water, wrapped in paper, etc. Overnite or 2-day. ETC.
Remember, this is just advise and not gospel.

bang guy

:D
I use storage bags. Place the animal in the bag with just enough water to prevent it from getting stuck out of the water when the bags roll. There should be as much air in the bag as possible. I twist the top & just tie it. Rubberbands are fine too. I then place that bag inside another bag and tie it the same way.
For a large number of bags I will place the entire order inside an tall kitchen garbage bag and tie that off as well.
For most animals I ship USPS Priority mail. For delicate animals FedEx Overnight.

oceandream

Can you tell us what creatures can be shipped for 2-3 days? I was under the impression all creatures needed overnight shipping.

fishman830

Originally posted by OceanDream
Can you tell us what creatures can be shipped for 2-3 days? I was under the impression all creatures needed overnight shipping.

generally that's the case

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So, I have seen some animals [not just LR] shipped with just a wet newspaper and a napkin in the bag. How is this possible?

bang guy

Originally posted by Beth
So, I have seen some animals [not just LR] shipped with just a wet newspaper and a napkin in the bag. How is this possible?

gilled animals with a low metabolism just need to have wet gills. This includes snails, tridacna clams and most worms. Anemone do best shipped dry.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So do you use a O2 tank or just plain ole air for the air in the bag?

oceandream

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Only hardy corals. Mushrooms, leathers, polyps, etc.

These get shipped overnight? Or can they survive 2-3 day shipping?

bang guy

Originally posted by OceanDream
These get shipped overnight? Or can they survive 2-3 day shipping?

Those do fine shipped 2-3 day.

bang guy

Originally posted by Beth
So do you use a O2 tank or just plain ole air for the air in the bag?

I use plain air. The jury is still out but the reason is ammonia toxicity.
With pure O2 there is less CO2 dissolved in the water because it will more readily disperse in the air trapped in the bag. This seems like a plus except that the higher the PH the more toxic ammonia is. With more CO2 in the water the ammonia is much less toxic until the bag is actually opened.

chris17

How do you get around everything? The post office wont let me ship my corals........its considerd "live fish" . Also ups wont let me either and i cant seem to find a freakin fedEx place.......I am out of ideas.................:mad: :mad: Should I just package it myself an send it Next Day and not tell them there is a live animal in the box???? This is soo stupid, the post office said you have to have a special box so if the bag gets a hole in it it wont leak every where..........this is .........I wont even say it.

russianspy

WHAT MANIAC SHIPS AN ANEMONE DRY!!!!!!! ITS SUICIDE, as the caretaker don't do that to the thing..(By dry I understand wrapped in a papertowel or newspaper ect.)

bang guy

No, dry shipping for Anemone is put the Anemone in an empty bowl for 5 minutes and let it expel most of its water. Then pour off the water and pour the anemone in an empty plastic bag. Fill the bag with air and tie it off.
The loss rate is a lot lower for Anemone shipped dry and the shipping cost is also a lot less.

schneidts

Originally posted by chris17
How do you get around everything? The post office wont let me ship my corals........its considerd "live fish" . Also ups wont let me either and i cant seem to find a freakin fedEx place.......I am out of ideas.................:mad: :mad: Should I just package it myself an send it Next Day and not tell them there is a live animal in the box???? This is soo stupid, the post office said you have to have a special box so if the bag gets a hole in it it wont leak every where..........this is .........I wont even say it.

I think I just realized what you mean. They want you to have a wax box in case of water leakage?? That's rediculous. I gave them my bag, they put in the box, and that was it. If that is the case, I would just box it yourself and bring it back. Just write
fragile all over the box.

zanemoseley

I've got yuma's and montipora digitata's from bang and they did fine with priority mail, I got it in 2 days, I think 3 days may have been pushing it. The montiporas look a little rough for the first couple days but do fine.