should i clean the glass?

my tank is currently cycleing, i have 21 pounds of live rock and diatoms on my sand and glass n what not, now the diatoms on the glass dosent look great at all, but i have diatoms everywhere else, so i was thinking of cleaning it, but theres copepods on the glass to, so if i get rid of one, i get rid of the other, should i clean it?

sure you can wipe the glass off you want to se in the tank right!u can use a brand new household sponge if u have one

yvetterich

if you do use a sponge, make sure that the sponge has not been pre treated with a cleaning agent (soap). you're fish would be sparking clean, but also a bit dead! :eek:

kappadoku

Ya. sure. The copepods will back the next morning. (almost)
Be sure not to use a windex soaked paper towell...

seabreeze

The diatoms will probably come back untill your tank finishes cycling, but it is ok to wipe them off.

well i really dont care about the back glass and im not that stupid to clean it with ANY chemicals, but i just wanted to see if its okay cause i know copepods are good, but if there good why would i be geting rid of them ya know, i guess i have a little task this weekend

pufferlover

For inside glass cleaning I use Lee's Scrubber Pad #12050 that is a sponge on one side and a Walnut shell pad on the other. They work like a charm and save me a lot of scraping. With a lot of tanks I go thru one every couple of weeks but if you buy them in quantity, as I do, my lfs gives me a good price 1.49 each and I have no worries about bad reactions to the materials in it. I have never seen them in any catalogs or net sites but most lfs can get them from their wholesale house.

I agree with pufferlover. You might want to use a fishtank sponge made for wiping glass down. This way you dont have to worry about any chems. You can get them on a stick or just a sponge. Anyway I would wipe the glass and stir up the substrate, even though it comes back. I clean my glass every day. Lots of luck.

nm reef

Personally I use my Visa card......heck it built my tanks.....might as well use it to scrape algae too........*_^