Should I get 3 250w mh's or 2 400w mh's?

mmync

I am going to purhase the metal halides for my tank but not sure if I should get 3 250w mh ballasts and bulbs or 2 400w mh ballasts and bulbs. My tank is 185 gallons. The dimensions are 67"L x 24"w x 26 1/4 high. I want to be able to keep most all corals. Or, I doubt it but maybe you guys will think Ill need 3 400w mh's
Thanks in advance my friends;)

mmync

Thanks jamesurq. So its a for sure thing that with 3 400w mh's I will be able to keep most anything right?

cosmo

I just got 3 250's and they raise my tank temp too much! I only turn 1 on right now till I get 4 fans installed. I hope i don't need a chiller. Just keep that in mind!
cosmo

josh

I would go with three 250's. The depth isn't the issue as much as the length of it, one lamp regardless if it's a 250 or 400 will cover approx 2 feet give or take.

bdhough

Josh is right. Youll loose intensity the further left or right from the bulb.
mmnyc you might want some Power Compacts to cover the actinic spectrum as well or create a twilight effect. Invest in some light timers while you're at it. You won't necessarily have to have all the halides on at the same time but youll want them all on at some point for a couple hours.

fshhub

I agree, 3 250s at least, and then something to suppliment the actinics. Then you can keep most corals, but remember, some are also low light, adn would do better in low light. If you want hard corals or clams, then maybe even the 3 x 400s. BUT definitely 3 of them, you willneed it for the 6 ft span.

Im gettin a 5 foot 3 x MH250W with 2 VHO super atintics 140x2
which would equal 1030 added to my exsisting 220 CPs, which would equal 1250! for my 180 gallon tank. Ur fine with what i have, beacuse i almost have 7 watts per gallon and ull have pretty close to that, if u want the site where i got it from, because i think they are pretty cheap, email me at lilvietxboi@yahoo.com