should i get a lion fish?

clowntrigga

I am considering getting a lionfish would he go good in a 75 gallon tank with a picasso about 2 1/2 inches a snowflake eel 7 inches and a couple of domino's? Are lionfish easy fish to take care of,are they picky eaters,are they hardy,and i really dont mind if they eat the domino's they would actually be doing me a favor cuz i cant catch those lil suckers!Which lionfish are the hardiest and dont get too big cuz i dont plan on upgrading for about a year which is when i get the big boy 150! THAN IT IS ON MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!CAN U SMELL WHAT I AM COOKIN LIONFISH??????????LOL :D

lionfish

Lionfish says.......
Oh, I smell what you're cookin'. I guess I'm not as sick as I thought. I have actually dropped a lionfish in a tank after it is cycled just so he could catch the Damsels for me. Pretty cool if you ask me. Ahh, sounds like you got a great set-up coming your way. Well, technically lionfish are one of the hardiest marine fish around but they can be picky eaters. Make sure that your fish store has trained all their lions to eat frozen food before you buy them. Some stores don't and the lion is so used to eating live food that it starves itself without live food. Live food is bad for lions if you feed them too much. They need a varied diet consisting of small meaty foods such as: shrimp, chopped squid, krill, and silversides. This is what I feed my lions. The tankmates sound very good for the lion. As long as the lion is trained to eat dead food than it will probably be the hardiest fish in your tank. Now, which one can you have. Well in a tank that size you can take your pick. I would recommend an Antennata, Radiata, or Black or Red Volitan. Those are the really cool ones. You could also get a Dwarf Lion or Fu Manchu but they don't need that large of a tank. I have kept my lions happy for 7 years and they haven't suffered from 1 disease. If ya got any more questions feel free to ask.

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, hermit crabs are kinda like appetizers to lionfish. Almost all lions will eat hermit crabs. However, to keep the glass clean I would highly recommend Trochus snails as they get to be gigantic. You could ask your fish store if they have any or if they are gonna order any. That is the snail I use in all my marine tanks. You said you are getting a 150 and a thought popped into my head. If you're getting a tank that big why not get something really cool and big to keep the substrate clean. Well I have the perfect fish for you. You probably know that wrasses stir up sand so I would suggets a Harlequin Tusk. I have one in a 70 gallon here and he burrows into the sand at night. With a fish that big he gets most of the sand clean. Anymore questions?

goldfish

I have a question about the "stinging aspect" of lionfish. I really want to get one, but my hubby is not too keen on getting stung by them. Are they really mean? Will they immediately go after hands in the tank during cleaning time?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
I'm taking it that you are new to the saltwater/aggressive tank hobby. Well, you will soon learn that lions have a reputation which has been thoroughly exaggerated. Yes, they sting and yes, it hurts(I know). But its not like the lion is gonna take off at your hand if you put it in the tank. Lions are not so aggressive as they are defensive. Most lions will turn their back to your hand and put all their fins behind them to tell the hand/fish to back off. It seems to work quite well. Lionfish do NOT go after the hand during cleaning time. They tend to go to the other side of the tank during cleaning because they do not like to be disturbed too often. The only way you will get stung is if you accidentally move your hand into his fins which are topped by their poisonous barbs. They are predatory but only towards small fish and the food you put in the tank. Believe though, if you get stung you will know it. OUCH, it hurts..... it hurts a lot.

goldfish

No, I am not that new to this hobby. I have a tank with triggers and tangs, but have always considered a lion fish to add to my family. Thanks for the info.