should I get a protien skimmer?

ssweet1

I have a 75 gallon reef, it uses a deep sand bed, 150 pounds live rock and 40gallon refugium and 29 gallon sump to filter. I have a emperor 400 which I run carbon but no spinning filters. I have been told NOT to use a protien skimmer because of all the corals needing the nutrients that would be skimmed. I have been having all kinds of issues after my tank leaked and I transfered everything to new tank. Mainly my corals are all now bleaching yet water parameters are correct amm/nit/nitrate tested twice daily since the transfer. Should I get a skimmer? If so what kind I dont want to lose anymore corals so if this skimmer would only take away nutrients than I dont want it. Any help appreciated Thanks, Carrie

sammiefish

yes...
but do you think the bleaching is due to the lack of a skimmer?...
if your levels are fine you probably dont have too much protein breaking down to the nitrogen cmpds...
what IS the nitrate value?

ssweet1

Ok so far it looks like I should get a skimmer even though I was told absolutely not too. :notsure: Should I get a hang on type or one that goes in my sump? I dont know if the bleaching is because of not having a skimmer, it is just my only theory at this point. Nitrates are 10 which is elevated for my tanks usual 5 reading.

ophiura

Based on the number of extremely successful reef tanks on this board kept by people who absolutely swear by a skimmer (and not much else), I would say that whoever told you that was wrong. There are also people who don't skim and rely on water changes and keep equally nice tanks. It has also been argued that certain types of corals or animals may do better long term in unskimmed "dirty" tanks...but this, IMO, does not apply across the board.

golfish

Originally posted by SSweet1
Ok so far it looks like I should get a skimmer even though I was told absolutely not too. :

Who or what told you that?
Should I get a hang on type or one that goes in my sump? .

There are no good hang on skimmers so the in sump model is the way to go..I'd look at the ASM or Geo

Nitrates are 10 which is elevated for my tanks usual 5 reading.

any nitrate reading other then zero is high for corals...what corals are bleaching?

ssweet1

The previous tank owner was a diehard old school type with algea on the back wall and sides no skimmer no filter just nature! However the corals looked great but the tank looked nasty! So being inexperienced I have tried to do the same but I dont let the glass get dirty and it is a constant chore with no help. Bleaching cause has been discovered- see my new post- Do I get the dumbest mistake award or what? Yes I am blonde, it is a wonder I am not grey after all this. I hope to achieve 0 nitrates with the help of a new skimmer. I hope all other levels will be easier to maintain as well with a new skimmer. Has anyone heard of Sea life Systems skimmers? Once again Thanks for the help! Carrie

lion_crazz

I have never had a SeaLife but I have heard a few negative reports of them.
You definitely need a skimmer on there though. I like the Euro Reef Skimmers or Super Reef Devils.

fishy411

Yeah it sounds like yur nitrate may be a litttle high. definately get a in sump skimmer. I know a few people who have all natural systems but they have a lot of maintenance work on their tanks.

gregm779

My sump is built by saelife systems but have no experience with their skimmers, I have a Nautilus Te skimmer that works great.

sammiefish

Ahhh, you struck the nail on the head... your buddy let nature do the work... algae all over the place... that will lower the nitrates... you take away the algae, you allow the nitrates to accumulate. So, if you want an algae free tank, and dont have macro-algae... I would say you DEFINATELY need a skimmer...

salty tank

skim it for sure. I cant imagine my tank without one. I have a millenium 2000 filter also. The millenium is for tanks up to like 45 gallons i think but with a good skimmer you dont need a great filter.

jakebtc

most people say anything salt above a 30 needs a skimmer of course most of us reefers have a skimmer no matter how small

Originally Posted by golfish
There are no good hang on skimmers so the in sump model is the way to go..I'd look at the ASM or Geo

What is wrong with the AquaC Remora Hang-on skimmer?? Sump model IS the better way to go but I disagree that there are no decent Hang-on skimmers.

supalupa

I clean my skimmer everyday and the protein still overflows the cup, down the overflow tube and into a jar. If all that garbage was still in my water I can't even imagine keeping anything alive in the tank, but with the skimmer everything is doing great! Definately get a venturi type skimmer.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Marine Fanatic
What is wrong with the AquaC Remora Hang-on skimmer?? Sump model IS the better way to go but I disagree that there are no decent Hang-on skimmers.
Here, Here, I second that vote.

misfit

I would have to disagree about the There is no good HOB skimmers.SSweet1 if you have a sump I would go with a P/S in the sump if not Get a HOB I have heard CRP bak Paks are good along with AquaC Remora IMO do not get prizm.