should I get a protien skimmer?

isistius

SSweet1 said:
Mainly my corals are all now bleaching yet water parameters are correct amm/nit/nitrate tested twice daily since the transfer.
if your corals are bleaching, check the water temp. in nature, corals will bleach when water temp is too hot. happens all the time on reefs worldwide, and is becoming more evident with glodal warming and increase of sea surface temps (along with hurricanes
)

crzyfshygy

Deltec makes a awesome hang on skimmer...its about $400 american. However if I had a choice and money was not an issue. DELTEC ALL THE WAY in sump Ap601 is the model. The skimmer to end em all arguably, or EUROREEF. I have an ETSS and its OK....I would not buy another one!!

sula

I have a CPR BakPak and it does a fine job on my small (29g) tank, but I think a 75 gallon tank would be too much for it.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
Deltec makes a awesome hang on skimmer...its about $400 american. However if I had a choice and money was not an issue. DELTEC ALL THE WAY in sump Ap601 is the model. The skimmer to end em all arguably, or EUROREEF. I have an ETSS and its OK....I would not buy another one!!
I will give that to you, Deltec is the best. However, I have used both EuroReef and ETSS also and I am much more impressed with the ETSS.

sula

LOL - I just realized, this thread is over a year old - I'm thinking Ssweet has chosen a skimmer by now!

seareef

Dispite my age on the board (Term in the community) I hope you dont mind my 2 cents.
In my experience I have found skimmers to be useful, and for most tanks needed. If your running a SPS tank then a skimmer is your best friend because your water has to be perfect. But if your running a tank with softies and other lagoon like corals skimming is not as needed; mind you if the tank is set up correctly.
For example:
I have a 150 gallon tank, I use a skimmer for a 75 gallon tank and I have it sent to have larger bubbles ..aka it wont pull as much. As I keep softies/mushrooms/zoa's etc ... they like a rich environment. But if I were running a SPS tank i would run a skimmer designed for the tanks size if not larger.
Each tank will act differently. My over all view is : I suggest skimmers for everyone because you primarily can not hurt a tank by over skimming. But do know there are people such as I who run tanks without/ or minimal skimming and have successful tanks.
But do know that more people have success running tanks with skimmers.
My advice to you would be to get a skimmer or atleast underskim ...because having a tank crash is absolutly NO fun...To much money/time and love invested.
Good luck to you.
Good brandfor skimmers are : asm .... I love there stuff.
~Scott