should i get an anemone

R

russwlw2004

Welp just got myself 2 false percula's and i have a perfect spot to place an anemone if it finds it suitable that is.
Should i get one? I do plan on getting some coral in the future.
this is going in a 35g hex.

meowzer

NO, your tank is still new ...correct.? Anemones should only go into tank that are at least 6 months old...and have the proper lighting.....What lighting do you have?
ALSO...an anemone will go where IT chooses....usually never where we want...lol

R

russwlw2004

alrighty no anemone, when will i know its time to get one?
my lighting is a quad bulb fixture from coralife, half 10,000k and actinic

btldreef

Yeah, your tank is still too new. Wait a couple months on the anemone, try corals first and see how that goes.
If the clowns really beat up a coral trying to host it, then you're going to have to take the chance with an anemone, and they may not take to it. Keeping one can be done in a newer tank setup, but it's more headache than it's worth most of the time, and if you ever have the displeasure of having an anemone die, especially in your size tank, and knowing that this tank is in your bedroom, you'll probably never want to deal with one again. They stink when they die (a smell that I will never forget) and screw up water parameters as well.

geoj

No, I read lots of people’s post “my anemone is over here, under there, got sucked in my power head, and how do I move” sounds like they can be a pain.
Just read one more “My clown won’t host”

They dont do well under PC's because the lights are not strong enough. The main part of an anemones diet is light. My tank is only been up since Dec. 1st and will not be getting an anemone till is more established. My mated pair of true percs are doing fine without it. Most people that I do know that have anemones have Metal Halides.

saltywhit67

ok so what wattage are we talking for a healthy anemone? i am thinking of going with a 96 w. pc quad fixture. Do you guys think that would work for a BTA? If not I am thinking of going with a viper clamp on 150w MH.

btldreef

Originally Posted by saltywhit67
http:///forum/post/3216554
ok so what wattage are we talking for a healthy anemone? i am thinking of going with a 96 w. pc quad fixture. Do you guys think that would work for a BTA? If not I am thinking of going with a viper clamp on 150w MH.
What size tank? How deep is it?

spanko

Standard 35 gallon hex is 24.75 inches deep. The Viper 150w clamp on would do okay on this tank. A. ocellaris host well in Entacmaea quadricolor, bubble tip anemone in the wild.

btldreef

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3216633
Standard 35 gallon hex is 24.75 inches deep. The Viper 150w clamp on would do okay on this tank. A. ocellaris host well in Entacmaea quadricolor
, bubble tip anemone in the wild.
The OP has a 35hex. Does saltywit have that as well? I can't view the about me section on my phone.

spanko

Oops. unless salty has something other than his user cp says, it lists a 75 gallon.
So salty my answer would be no on both options you listed.