Should I Get an Ozonizer ?

ivasawajin

i have a 230G reef tank which has 44 fishesh and many many corals , ITS way overstocked but my equipments are pretty top notch stuff , the only problems that i have that is that my O2 levels arent at its best , its around 2-5 in the morning , and my tank is a litlle cloudy . should i get ozone ??? and if so hows the difference between 100MG/H and 200 ??? help plz

tangs rule

Ozone will not increase O2 levels in your tank. Ozone can be used to increase protein skimmer efficiency and eliminate the need for gfo / carbon reactors. Ozone is popular in the larger tanks (>250) because it's cheeper to run ozone generators than have to replace lots of media (gfo&carbon) - but the goal is the same, cleaner water. It CANNOT be used to increase oxygen (O2) levels, and excessive ozone (O3) in your DT water can kill off your tank.
More surface agitation is the easiest way to increase oxygen levels.
And 100 MG/H means the output of the unit - 100 miligrams per hour

scsinet

Are you using a skimmer?
I'd be very surprised that O2 levels would be low if you are running one... the air/water interface in them is so great...
I'm curious - how are you determining your O2 levels?

ivasawajin

I have 3 skimmers , one is a 800 liter TMC , one Hydor performance 1200liter and one 600 liter aquamedic , and i run 2 1500 gph powerheads over the tanks water surface in the opposite direction , and my test kit in tetra O2 test kit

ivasawajin

i have one VERY VERY GOOD skimmer , one VERY GOOD skimmer and one OK skimmer , the first 2 are in the frist row of the sump and the third is in the last row , my surface water movment is like a thunder strorm and my windows are always open for air .

ivasawajin

maybe its because i'm way overstcoked that my O2 levels are too low , fishesh uses O2 right ? and the test kit says use it in the morning before turning the lights on . i heard you have to use ozone with carbon . is that right ? i just want to fix my last and only remaining display problem : cloudy water .

2quills

I would agree and say you are way overstocked. I couldn't imagine myself keeping 22 fish in my 120g if it was already packed with rock and coral. I'd say get rid of about 2/3rds of your fish and your water quality would get alot better. It just seems unnecessarily expensive to try and combat those kinds of water quality issues when you could simply just do with less fish.

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386295/should-i-get-an-ozonizer#post_3392406
I would agree and say you are way overstocked. I couldn't imagine myself keeping 22 fish in my 120g if it was already packed with rock and coral. I'd say get rid of about 2/3rds of your fish and your water quality would get alot better. It just seems unnecessarily expensive to try and combat those kinds of water quality issues when you could simply just do with less fish.
i like the super overstocked thing , the tank looks so vivid . so i wont be dumping any fish or corals . the work and money is really high but it pays off IMO

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///forum/thread/386295/should-i-get-an-ozonizer#post_3392415
i like the super overstocked thing , the tank looks so vivid . so i wont be dumping any fish or corals . the work and money is really high but it pays off IMO
To each his own on how you stock or overstock your tank, but ozone is serious stuff - as mentioned earlier, it can be fatal to your tank and you too. It only helps "bleach" or "clarify" the water, by making the solids your protien skimmers pull out of the water they are cycling. It will NOT increase O2 (oxygen) and must be used with caution, as there is a balance between having enough ozone to increase skimming value, and having too much, which can be a disaster. I run it, but I've a 535gal total water cap system, and a huge ozoner unit (made for hot tubs), which only runs 4 minutes, 6x per day.
Yes, you should run carbon filtration AFTER the ozone unit input somewhere, and with most small O3 (ozone) units, an air dryer or dessicant unit should be used on the air intake of the O3 unit. The dryer (dessicant) is a dark blue gravel substrate (media) inside a plastic container that filters the incomming air to the O3 generator unit to remove moisture. The media turns light pink when exhausted and no longer good - though the media crystals (by themselves) can be baked in an oven at 300 f for 20 min to restore, but only a couple times, then must have new dark blue media installed. {don't bake the plastic media holder} This dryer helps prevent the O3 unit from corroding internally, and greatly legnthens unit lifespan.
In closing, ozone is a great way to increase skimmer "skimate" production, but has risks that are very high too. It cannot increase O2 levels (oxygen)
Water temp is also critical to dissolved oxygen levels, as warmer water will hold less oxygen - cooler water will hold more. If your tank runs above 80F - try running it at 78F and retest O2 levels.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///forum/thread/386295/should-i-get-an-ozonizer#post_3392487
you lost me at the air dryer
An ozoner only produces O3 but uses ambient airflow to do it - you have to "pull or force" air through the unit (which converts O2 to O3) and into your system somehow via a positive air pump or suction created by a skimmer air inlet.....There is an intake and outlet on all ozoner units, and the dryer has to go on the intake side to filter (dry) the incomming air with the media (dessicant) and its container. The moisture in the incomming air (espically if unit is close to your tank/system) will cause corrosion inside the unit, causing it to fail prematurally. The media in the air dryer removes about all moisture/humidity, leaving dry air to flow thru the unit, preventing internal corrosion.

scsinet

Additionally, ozonizers create ozone by corona action. They use an electrode inside a chamber that is exposed to a very high voltage... 15,000v or more. That causes what is called the corona effect. This happens best with dry air, hence the need for dryers.
IMO the danger to the hobbyist in using ozone is not as great as is often described. Ozone is highly unstable, so unstable that it cannot be bottled, that's why we have ozone generators instead of just buying tanks of compressed ozone. It breaks down in an impure environment readily. Therefore, it doesn't persist long in the atmosphere. Ozonizers sold for aquariums usually don't produce ozone at a sufficient rate to cause harm to room occupants.
It is nevertheless highly toxic and basic precautions should be taken. An aquarium is a much smaller environment, so ozone if improperly used can crash an aquarium quite easily. It should always be used with an ORP controller to avoid overdosing.
What is a larger problem is that ozone degrades most plastics and rubbers. It is usually introduced into skimmers and if the skimmer and most things associated with it are not rated for ozone contact, the plastics will degrade to the point of breaking apart if they are looked at the wrong way. Only the very top end skimmers usually carry this rating.
Regardless, ozone will not solve your problem. If the cloudy water is being caused by reduced o2 concentration, ozone may address the clarity to some extent, but you need to solve the problem, not hide the symptom. If indeed o2 is the issue, your fish are probably under a terrible amount of stress, and ozone will not make that go away. Increased water volume and increased air-to-water interface are about the only things I can think of, and they've already been mentioned here.

ivasawajin

i checked my O2 with another test , it was between 5-8 . and my fishesh are very calm and happy , and you said that some special skimmers support ozone , this one says it does support it and this is the skimmer i want to use for ozone , any suggestions ???
<< Link Removed >>

scsinet

Any suggestions? Like what?
You wanted to solve an oxygen problem, and wanted to know if ozone would do it. Folks here gave their answer, and you are basically saying "well I'm gonna do it anyway." Fair enough, it's your tank.
I personally run ozone on one of my tanks (not for oxygenation purposes), so I've got nothing against it. However, I'm confused why you are continuing to solicit input when multiple folks have already answered your question? Are we missing the point of what you are trying to ask? Do you disagree with the answers? If so, then say so, and we can discuss it.
By the way, links to other online stores, particularly aquarium product stores, is not allowed on these message boards.