Should I get my LR from multiple sources?

blackdog

Hello group--
I'm gettting ready to start a 55 gal reef tank for the first time. I have an opportunity to get a great deal on "Fiji ultra premium live rock" from a source that has received universally good feedback online. Is there any reason not to get all 80 lbs of my LR from this one person to start my tank? Does getting LR from various sources give me a healthier variety of critters, or a more interesting variety of growth?
When I get the rock (I will be driving to get it), is there anything I should be looking for other than interesting shapes and a clean smell?
Thanks in advance
--Dave
38 gal freshwater cichlid tank, where life is nasty, brutish and short

jacksonpt

Getting LR from different sources might give you a better variety of critters, but it won't matter much to the chemistry of your tank. It will just give you better chance of picking up a greater variety of hitch hikers. Fiji LR is good stuff, and if you have the opportunity to get it cheap, I'd get as much as you can/want.
When picking it out, like you said, just look for interesting shapes and that ocean smell. Other than that, check it out good and close... sometimes you can see potential hitch hikers.
Good luck!

ren

Do they cure it onsite? I'd ask that and also IME (short as it is lol) when I went to a LFS here that I chose 25lbs, I got 1 piece that had a small leather coral on it (didn't charge extra for it :) ). Try to select pieces that are very porious lotsa holes rather than more solid pieces (more oppertunity for critters). Odd shaped pieces are excelent for making arches and 'enclosing' powerheads for finished appearance. And, lol, remember the purple coraline is GOOD!
Alot to remember I know but spend the time there. I think its worth it in the long run.
Good luck!
Ohh if ya are interested in going to multi sorces -?don't know it there is a gain to it- but my LR guy has some awesome rock i can e-mail ya his link.

blackdog

When you say "cured," does that mean keeping it in a tank long enough for the die-off to happen and then reacclimate to being in the ocean? In other words, if I get there and it's in tanks and it has been in tanks longer than a couple weeks, does that mean it is cured?
Is there anything I should know about transporting it back to my house? I'm thinking of bringing several plastic tubs down and maybe he'll give me enough water to keep them covered (and fill my tank for the first time). Is that a good idea, and will the rock be OK for a 3-4 hour trip in the back of a covered pickup in winter?
I noticed in a couple other threads people were talking about gettting coraline to grow on their rock, and even smashing up some rock and putting it by the powerhead to seed the other rock. So obviously, not all live rock is created equal. One website has three different grades of LR from the Florida Gulf, the best having all kinds of red, purple, and yellow things growing on it already.

broomer5

BlackDog,
To your last post - yes - after receiving the live rock from overseas or wherever - most lfs's will place it in a tank of saltwater with skimmer and water changes to cure.
It may sit there for several weeks until it's ready to sell - or they will offer some to folks that want partially cured rock. Curing just allows for much of the ammonia and die off crap to be removed from the rock prior to selling it to put into your tank.
I've always just had the lfs wrap the rock with saltwater wet newspaper,place the rock in a plastic bag and put it in a box to carry.
I've driven home - one hour away - and did not have any problems with the rock at all. Although it was not winter at the time, and I had the rock in the car with me.
I would not suggest using a lfs's saltwater for filling your tank for the first time. Too many unknowns about the quality of this water - you lose control at that point. Unless they sell filtered ocean water - just mix up your own with a good brand of salt like Instant Ocean, and use RO water if at all possible.
Not sure about a 3-4 hour drive with the rock in a tub of water in the back of a pick up. Just don't know what that would do. Would get cold for sure - and don't think that would be too good.
You're right - all rock is not created equal. There's good live rock and then there's bad live rock. You'll know the good stuff when you see it.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Brian ;)