should i panic?

erock412

i got a free blue hippo tang today but it went through a lot on its journey. the person that gave it to me had it in a bucket, and it was in the bucket for a long car ride ~ 3hrs and i think it was in the bucket for a few hrs before the ride. when i got it home, it was listless, but after acclimation it started swimming around. now it's in a tank and i noticed that some of its coloration looks faded and patchy. it doesnt look like raised white spots, like i understand ich looks like. i'm wondering if maybe it could have just gotten irritated from the ride, maybe from rubbing against the bucket and little amt of sand in the water, or what?

erock412

here's the thing: i was supposed to get a 125 last monday, then it was supposed to come in this past monday, now they are saying it will come in NEXT monday
right now i have a bare bottom 55g with my old LR in it as well as 2 clowns and the bl hippo and a grn chromis that were given to me, and a 55 with cycled sand, and my NEW LR in it. so right now i dont have a qt running, the one 55 will become my qt come monday. and as far as a pic goes, the blue hippo and chromis hiding in the rocks and i dont want to stress them out anymore than they already have been.
should i maybe just remove all LR from the bare bottom tank, put it in the other 55 with the LR and sand?

Blue Hippo Tangs are prone to ICH, so don't be shocked if he gets it. I personally wouldn't worry about the blotchyness, and faded color, just stress. If things are good with the tank, he/she should bounce back. But just watch out for the ICH. As for hiding this is normal also...

erock412

by the way: the chromis came in the bucket with the blue hippo: he seemed to handle the ride much better than the tang, i'm guessing b/c of the size difference. he's a fast bugger but i got a glance of him, and he looks like his coloration is fine, and he came from the same tank as the tang. also, i should add, that the tang did show her face for a while, swam around and ate, then returned to her cave for the night. should i remove all the LR from the bare bottom and put it in with the other LR in case this IS ich and doesnt infect the rock? that way if i need to put the fish into hypo, it should be easy, eh?

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2902694
by the way: the chromis came in the bucket with the blue hippo: he seemed to handle the ride much better than the tang, i'm guessing b/c of the size difference. he's a fast bugger but i got a glance of him, and he looks like his coloration is fine, and he came from the same tank as the tang. also, i should add, that the tang did show her face for a while, swam around and ate, then returned to her cave for the night. should i remove all the LR from the bare bottom and put it in with the other LR in case this IS ich and doesnt infect the rock? that way if i need to put the fish into hypo, it should be easy, eh?
If it is ich it is probably already on your rock in the tank the fish are in. Well at least you can't be certain that it's not. Tangs and alot of other fish tend to lose color when not under good lighting. Has the color returned to the tang?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2902694
I wouldn't pull the rock just yet. If the fish does have ich then you can. You need the rock for biological filtration right now with the increased bio load. If the fish does have ich then you can pull the rock for treatment. All parasites will be dead on the rock long before the fish are ready to go into your DT anyway.
The faded spots and listless behavior are from stress. As long as the conditions are good in the 55, he will be fine.

erock412

well, since the fish seemed reasonably happy, and it ate, i dont want to disturb the rock that it's hiding in. i'm going to let them relax for the night, and i'll see what it looks like tomorrow. i really appreciate your help guys. this is my first "ill" fish, so it's a little frustrating. ill update tomorrow.

erock412

man this really has me bothered! i have a quick question as far as ich goes: say my tang is ich-free, and assuming that all the LR i have cycling now (which is gorgeous rock btw) is not infected, then the only way the tang could possibly get ich is if i introduce something to the tank that has ich, right? so if i QT all new additions, and cycle rock properly (which i have always done) then the possibilites of ich would be slim to none, eh?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2902855
man this really has me bothered! i have a quick question as far as ich goes: say my tang is ich-free, and assuming that all the LR i have cycling now (which is gorgeous rock btw) is not infected, then the only way the tang could possibly get ich is if i introduce something to the tank that has ich, right? so if i QT all new additions, and cycle rock properly (which i have always done) then the possibilites of ich would be slim to none, eh?

If it were me then I would hypo all of the fish just to be sure, especially with a tang. You are correct though. If none of the fish have ich and you quarantine ALL new purchases, not just fish, then they will not get ich again.

erock412

well, this morning the tang was out and about, ate like a horse, and her color is slowing returning
there are still marks on the sides of her body, but they aren't as pronounced as they were yesterday and she isn't as pale as she was. Hopefully her condition will keep improving. fingers crossed