Should I put my dog to sleep?

mie

I have a 14 year old chihuahua who is blind, deaf and pees in his bed all the frickin time. I cant even hold him because he pees on me. He is not in any pain though. Any thoughts?

t316

Tough call.
When I read the title, I was already thinking..."Yes", because admitedly, I am not usually a "hold out, spend thousands of dollars", etc. But when you look at it..."blind, deaf, 14 yrs. old, pisses on everything, but not in pain".....heck, that's no different from my grandmother when she was still here...

So no, in this case I'm leaning towards maybe secluding him more in a protected floor area, make him as comfortable as possible, and let him retire in peace.

lovethesea

I'm with T......protect things from the dogs weakness.Maybe get some cheap, CHEAP disposable diapers so you can spend some time holding/loving him.

el guapo

I say yes. Help him to pass on to the next world . honestly if he is def, blind and can't even be held and loved because he pees on you then truthfully what kind of life is that to lead ? Don't make him die alone. Take him to the vet an hold him one last time even though he will pee on you. Snuggle him and pet him and let him smell you and know you are there with him as he passes.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3241546
I say yes. Help him to pass on to the next world . honestly if he is def, blind and can't even be held and loved because he pees on you then truthfully what kind of life is that to lead ? Don't make him die alone. Take him to the vet an hold him one last time even though he will pee on you. Snuggle him and pet him and let him smell you and know you are there with him as he passes.
I agree.

socal57che

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3241546

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper

http:///forum/post/3241551
I agree.
I like this option best, too. (wear old clothes) There isn't an easy way, but I just plain like this idea. Kinda mushy considering the author, though.

aquaknight

Have you taken him to the vet recently? An older deaf/blind dog with bladder problems, I immediately think of him possibly being diabetic?

al mc

Given your information I would personally suggest euthanasia as the quality of life from your description is very poor. If you choose to keep going I would make up a large comfortable kennel with 'blue pads' (basically disposable towels used in hospitals) to make him comfortable and help the quality of your life.

mrdc

I my parents recently had to put down their 14 year old terrier that was also blind and death due to diabetes. He had been that way for about a year. Oh, they also had to keep him in diapers. Well he suddenly made a turn for the worse and could barely walk so they put him down. He never did show any signs of pain. My 15yo jack russell is still doing great but I know at his age that things can sour at anytime. I just hope he goes in his sleep because it's going to be very tough to man up and have hom put down if needed.

btldreef

I think it's time to let him go. And I also speak from experience, you'll be doing the right thing.
If you're really not ready, he needs to at least be seen by a vet to rule out diabetes as others have suggested. They make doggie diapers, it's a pain, but at least you'll be able to hold him without getting urinated on.

mie

He is in the laundry room and he has a big cummfy bed to sleep on, when I let him outside to go to the bathroom he remembers what way to walk to go, the second he steps off the deck, he pees. Last night I gave him a pork chop bone and every time I would try to take it he would growl and protect it. So I think he is still happy. After he licked that one clean I gave him another.

deejeff442

i volunteer as a fireman and see some nasty stuff at car wrecks but ,the worst feeling i have had in my life was to put down my bull mastiff from bone cancer.but when the vet said he had it i promised him i wouldnt keep him around just for me.same with my rotty again bone cancer.
it was tough but when they are in pain or cannot do the basic functions anymore its time to let go.
sorry about your family member.

browniebuck

We had to put our 16 year old second hand shetland sheepdog to sleep over the summer...he survived a horrible case of separation anxiety when we got him at the ripe old age of 9 (I really was totally against getting this dog....but my wife is an easy mark...SOOOOOOO glad that we did end up taking him), he survived a cancerous tumor on his leg (same one he used to bite when his old owners would leave), then survived us introducing a shih tzu puppy (to keep him young), and finally got through a couple mini strokes a year and a half ago. I thought that this dog would live forever...over the summer he started having the mini strokes again and more frequently and lost his ability to get around, started having accidents in the house, lost his appetite, and lost his "spunk". We knew that it was time, which broke both of our hearts....but it was almost like he knew how hard the decision was for us and gave my wife a kiss while he was going...that was his way of letting us know that we did the right thing and that he thanked us for not letting him suffer.
Aside from watching my mother die of cancer, that was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do in my life. Animals mean so much to my wife and I that you sometimes forget that you will outlast most of them and may have to make decisions like that.....that said, my house will NEVER be without at least one dog (currently have a sheltie pup and our shih tzu....which is the greatest dog that ANYONE has ever owned...if you would like stories, I can provide a LOOOOOOOONG list of what makes him so great!).
If he is still enjoying the little pleasures such as the pork chop and is still able to go about his routines....I'm not sure that it is time (you will know when it is time...you know your dog).

oceankid

No, you should not, euthanize is not what he/she need. Give him some love, I mean LOTS of love! That's what he/she really needs. Make him/her feel that safe in your arms!

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3241600
Given your information I would personally suggest euthanasia as the quality of life from your description is very poor. If you choose to keep going I would make up a large comfortable kennel with 'blue pads' (basically disposable towels used in hospitals) to make him comfortable and help the quality of your
life.
I agree with Al here, it's all about the quality of life. If he like to run/ jump/ play, and now he can't well his quality is diminished IMO. If he was always more of a lap dog anyway, then maybe his quality of life is about the same.
This thread made me all teary eyed just to read it, as I hate even thinking about this topic, but when in doubt, always fall back on his quality of life.
Course with that being said, if he found new things to interest him, ie, being a lap dog... I mean, if he seems happy, then just deal with the pee. And buy doggie diapers. But if he's mopey and sad, then it's time to say goobye...

browniebuck

I had to leave my classroom today because a student that I have known since my first year in my district (I had her older siblings) told me that they were going to have to put their Mastiff "Chompers" to sleep.....I think that I was a little more torn up than she was....I always referred to her and her twin sisters as "Chomper's Sisters" rather than their names.....now I have to catch myself!

el guapo

When I seperated from my Ex wife we lived in a tri level house . My APBT Dayze was 7 years old and Had been the typical Pitbull, Nothing but energy and love. The last six months she had been spending more and more time on the main floor and just being Lazy, She would yipe when she stood up and never wanted to do much. After I moved out I brought her to my new apartment on the third floor. While being back with me brightened her up some she still wasn't the same dog. She started to mess in the house and lost her appetite. She even stopped wanting to go for rides in the car with me(her favorite thing). Turns out she had some serious problems with her hips. I couldn't afford the surgery to have them fixed. Rather than let her suffer out a rough life I chose to have her put down. It was the worst thing I have every felt in my life. Saying good bye to my best friend, but in my heart I knew it had to be done. I could lie to myself all I wanted but she would still be suffering. When I took her in she laid on the table with her nose on my hand she gave me a half energetic wag as we said goodbye. She just laid there and looked at me as I cried as if to say, Its ok . After she passed on I set there with her for a few minutes. I had her cremated and she is still here with me in a small tin in the night stand. No dog will every replace her. I know she will be waiting for me at the door when I go home to rest many years from now.