Should I put my pumps in the sump or out?

mmync

I am going to install the pumps to my return and to my protein skimmer. My return pump is a mag7 and my skimmer pump is a sen 900, I have the option of installing the pumps directly in the sump or I can keep them outside the sump. Which would be better if any? If they where out of the sump would they keep the water alot cooler or not really?

i would suggest in , i had my pump out and i had bubble problems and it was loud . Now that i have it in no bubble and it's not as loud. This is just my opinion.

newfishliny

Originally posted by mmync
I am going to install the pumps to my return and to my protein skimmer. My return pump is a mag7 and my skimmer pump is a sen 900, I have the option of installing the pumps directly in the sump or I can keep them outside the sump. Which would be better if any? If they where out of the sump would they keep the water alot cooler or not really?

I run a mag 9 for my 90 gal : its in the sump and it runs fine , but I had to put a pad under it for the vibration( no heat ) I did read it does run cooler in the water . there are other pumps that are made for out of sump only:
my skimmer is a aqua c , I run it also in the sump; I would only do it in the sump . Why ? well it has a possibility for over flowing and it takes some time to adjust. my sump is a 20 gal long tank.
good luck
Don LINY