should I use substrate or not

scheri11

I have read both ways I was wondering which way is better. The tank does have live rock in it. It is a 200 gallon tank.

stanlalee

it really doesn't matter, you should do which looks best to you. most people think sand looks better and there are some creatures and fish that require sand. I had sand and removed it. I removed it because with the flow I wanted in such a small and shallow tank the sand was sort of a nuisance with shifting and occasional blowing around. sand also gets between the magfloat if not carefull and can scratch the glass all up. I've come to like the look better as well. at some point I'd like the bottom filled with coral. there's no reason with or without a tank shouldn't function well. if your not going to have high flow though might as well do sand. Rather sand on the bottom then detritus settling all over the bottom.

t316

I like "bottomless", but not in a tank my friend
Personal opinion, it looks cheap, not natural, and seems like it would be a beast to clean. But on the other hand, it depends on your inhabitants and your husbandry.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3225538
I like "bottomless", but not in a tank my friend
and seems like it would be a beast to clean.
first off its "bare bottom" not "bottomless". I joked at this term in the last thread but come on now. I agree all tanks should have a bottom.
it may "seem" that way but could be anything further from the truth. one its not suppose to get dirty when done right and secondly what could be easier than siphoning the bottom of of a bare tank. I can vigorously clean the glass, dump gallons of water in it quickly during water changes or anything else I want without concern of blowing around sand. Removing the sand from the display is one of the best things I've done for overall ease of maintanence.

t316

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3225559
first off its "bare bottom" not "bottomless". I joked at this term in the last thread but come on now. I agree all tanks should have a bottom.
it may "seem" that way but could be anything further from the truth. one its not suppose to get dirty when done right and secondly what could be easier than siphoning the bottom of of a bare tank. I can vigorously clean the glass, dump gallons of water in it quickly during water changes or anything else I want without concern of blowing around sand. Removing the sand from the display is one of the best things I've done for overall ease of maintanence.
"Bottomless....Bare Bottom"?....I like them both....

aquaknight

Pretty much agree with Stanlalee, it's not really about 'better.' They both have strong pro's and con's.
First, would be if I wanted critters that require a sandbed, and then barring that, personal taste.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3225573
Pretty much agree with Stanlalee, it's not really about 'better.' They both have strong pro's and con's.
First, would be if I wanted critters that require a sandbed, and then barring that, personal taste.
Oh yeah! Yellow wrasse for the win.

florida joe

lets start with the depth of a sand bed you would employ if you were going with one, and what are your plans for di nitrification

markw

Agree with FJoe. A DSB would help with keeping the nitrates down. I believe all SBs help somewhat, but a DSB is where its at if you want it for that.
Mark

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3226023
Agree with FJoe. A DSB would help with keeping the nitrates down. I believe all SBs help somewhat, but a DSB is where its at if you want it for that.
Mark
It's my understanding that only a DSB provides a oxygen deprived environment by which the necessary anaerobic bacteria can thrive.
I didn't think that a shallow sand bed would help too much with denitrification.
You don't need a DSB of course. They're not impractical for a 200 gallon tank and I'm not saying you shouldn't get one. However, there are plenty of others ways to lower nitrates. From macroalgae to scrubbers and from a remote DSB to nitrate sponges, there is more than one way to lower your nitrates.

spanko

Originally Posted by scheri11
http:///forum/post/3225237
I have read both ways I was wondering which way is better. The tank does have live rock in it. It is a 200 gallon tank.
The main concern for you here would be IMO what you want to keep in the tank. Research the creatures that you are looking at to see if they need a substrate to flourish in.
I have had both bare bottom and shallow sandbeds.
Barebottom are very easily cleaned and I found that with the circulation in the tank detritus tended to accumulate in one area and was easily siphoned out at water change. Also after some time the growth of coralline algae started to cover the bottom and it really did not look bad to me.
Here is my 29 biocube with no substrate.

I after a while added some substrate because I wanted a jawfish. I have maybe two inches in the tank now but the jawfish has moved it around a lot and created deeper places around his hangout under the rock.

pezenfuego

Spanko: Out of curiosity and for the benefit of the OP, how difficult was it to add the sand after the tank was that well established?

spanko

It was not bad at all. IMO if you go through that you need to add dry substrate. Don't get fooled into the "live sand" bags. This IMO will start an ammonia spike in the tank from all of the dead material in the so called live sand.
Rinse the new dry substrate well, then with a piece of PVC and a funnel you can add the sand with directional control and if you do it slowly enough avoid any sandstorm in the tank. Remember to take some of the water out of the tank prior to adding the new substrate to compensate for displacement.
It was really very easy and for those that want to try a bare bottom tank for a while no need to worry about adding substrate later if you find you don't like it.