Should Imus be fired?

phixer

Anyone listen to the news today? Jackson and Sharpton are going after Imus now. Over the years Ive observed Jackson gain power by making up accusations and stirring the pot. People get scared and throw money at him to go away, then he moves on to the next victim. Seems like this is practice is lower than what Imus did.

shogun323

Originally Posted by Phixer
Seems like this is practice is lower than what Imus did.
Very good point.
I dont think he should be fired. I think he was a bit out of line but also out of context as well. His counterpart is the one who actually said the bit that put it over the edge. My understanding is that in actuality he was refering to a Spike Lee movie. I think Jackson and Sharpton just go looking for fights.

tangman99

Here is my honest opinion on the whole topic. I think what Imus did was totally wrong and very stupid on his part. Do I think he should be fired? No. Only because if the opposite had occurred, there is no way they would be fired and probably very little if anything would happen. It's either right or wrong for everyone.
I'm not racist, but I was raised in a very segregated town where everyone lived in there own section and my older relatives were about as racist as they come. My parents have never been racist at all.
Now here is my honest opinion on the whole racial matter. I believe a small portion of the white race keep a small portion of the black race up in arms. These are the idiots like Imus that make stupid remarks and the idiots like Jackson and Sharpton that just go on a head hunting mission everytime it happens. I honestly believe the majority of white and black people just wish that both of these groups of people would just shut the hell up and go away. If they did, I think the rest of us would get along pretty well.

ruaround

i give him an ooooppppssss... who cares... someones feelers got hurt and now their monitary bandaid is gonna fix someone that speaks their mind... enough with the PC already...

reefforbrains

Fire the hack, who cares if hes racist or not, hes not entertaining. As for what he said,...who cares. Hes a disposable shock jock. Its his job to be disliked and push buttons and spout unpopular thought, and if that doesnt work then hacks like him go for something for a reaction.
Can the clown just because hes a clown. A new one will replace him tomorrow.

seasalt101

i agree with reef for brains i would just hope the replacement is more entertaining than imus is, i'm glad bob and tom are on the same time that imus is....tobin

lovethesea

I'm with Tangman. Also, I take offense to most of the "rap" music. I can't believe that the black community puts up with some of the nonsense that is put out by them.
BUT, we can't fire someone because they are a hack. He has been huge for years and will be for many more IMO. He has been in the business for almost 40 years. The political community love his show and they are the first to be on his show. I don't listen to him, but his show is very popular.
We also can't fire someone for this statement.
It would be a slippery slope right into trampling on our Freedom of Speech.
Everyone needs to police themselves including the musicians. Just out of decency.
I can't stand Sharpton......he keeps certain groups (black and white) stewed up all the time. Instead of helping, he contributes to the problem. I witnessed it this summer in STL when we had a HUGE electrical outage (over 650,000 out) . He showed up in his limo after leaving the Ritz Carlton and went to our electric company after staging a protest. He realized it was not a discrimination problem and left town.............but do you think he tried educate the protesters with the real story before he left???? Nope.

windmill

I'd give him a great big slap on the back for a job well done.
I mean c'mon, the man's a radio shock jockey, isn't that what his job is about - stir up stuff and hope for some publicity. I'd never even heard of the guy or the station until this incident so he definately did what he's supposed to. Look at all the crap Howard Stern got away with, that's what those jockeys like to do and what they are hired for.

reefkprz

dont know what Imus said.
as for racism whats the point, there are lousy people of any race just because some one has a natural pigmentation against the sun inherent in their skin does not change who they are personalitywise. I know more ignorant white people than people of any other ethnic origin (I just want to point out at this statement that I am english and finnish in origin so I'm about as cracker as they come) . sure you meet your stereotypical person of any origin occasionally, but thats all it is a small group leading to a broad generalization. I've met dumb blonds and smart ones, I've met gay men and flamers, I've met white men and redneck racists.
its not going to matter eventually because eventually everyone is going to be a smooth puree of almost every so called "race" (I think more people already are than they think)
People lose sight of one fact we are indeed the "human race" there's only one race there is no sub families or dividing DNA, we are the same.
and yes Imus is paid to piss people off to get ratings, no he shouldnt be fired no matter what he said the fact is he did his job we are talking about it right now. he stirred up the pot. the freedom of speech does cover saying dumb things too. maybe he shouldnt have said it but its his right to be as stupid and racist as he wants.

bigarn

Imus is an equal opportunity offender ... you can be sure that even if the team was all white, he would have come up with some nonsense that would offend them as well. No, I don't condone what he said, but let's face it, shock jocks are out of control and will continue to push the envelope.

lawman

Just a couple of points here.how many new black listeners will Imus will have after this so called suspension? Answer: A whole bunch.
How many new white listeners will he have? Answer: A whole bunch.
How many of his current listeners will stop listening? Answer: very few if any.
Mission accomplished! What gets me is that the majority of the black folks who are alledgedly offended by this are the same people that listen to, Applaude and promote a music that routinely exploits and commonly refers to black women as Bi*@/s and Ho's. Seems to me that those "offended" should do a little house cleaning of their own before trying to clean the house of a white radio icon. Funny part is I think his show stinks. Therefore I CHOOSE not to listen.

pontius

I'd tell Jesse Jackson of the "Jaime Town" comment where he could stick his opinion on racism, he's (and really Sharpton too) the last person that should be calling someone else a racist.
as far as Imus, I've never listened to him, so I don't really care. but when he, or Kramer, or Mel Gibson, or somebody else makes a comment like that, they go running around to Sharpton or Jackson to beg for forgiveness. my opinion is, whether he's a racist or not, he doesn't owe them an explanation or an apology unless he feels like giving one. he is just makes himself look like more of an idiot. out of principle, I'd refuse to go grovelling to Sharpton or Jackson like I owed them some kind of explanation.

J

jrthomas40

he should be fired!!!...if the guy got fired for what he said during the Miami brawl....and a racial slur whether refered to a movie or not...he was still talking about the team when the comment was made....what kind of example does that set for kids listening

reefkprz

if a parent is letting their kid listen to some one like Imus then the parent should be punished not imus.

J

jrthomas40

still if the guy got fired for making a comment (although not necessary) about miami in the brawl...then why shouldnt imus be fired??? what he said was a lot worse than the miami comment

95harley

Too words...WHO CARES? The guy made an off color remark, he screwed up period. But the NAACP and others are on a head hunting mission....
To turn the tables....what if there was an NAAWP and they protested Chris Rock every time he told a craker joke and threatened to have him killed...etc etc...
Imus made a bad remark in the middle of a joke that seemed to be started by his co-achor anyway (if you listen close). But the Rev JJ and Al Sharptons of the world are just as racist as anyone...just racist in a way that doesn't offend main stream...against the white man (easy target there).
Let's go through all the advantages the "oppressed" of this county have...
Equal Opp groups
Special Scholar ship programs soley for them
ETC ETC ETC
Now that this storm is over lets get back to real news....Like who knocked up Anna Nicole Smith..that pill popping white trash gold digging stripper.
The whole world has gone to hell, I'm going back to my fish tanks now where sanity still rulz. :happyfish

rylan1

This is more than just a racial issue, its a sexist issue as well. The ladies he is referring to are college athletes who just got finished representing the best of the best of college basketball. The comment was totally disrespectful to the unversity, public, and NCAA. Regardless if he is fired or not this is wrong and should not be tolerated. He may not be racist ( I don't know) but his comments were bigoted and offend a lot of people. If these girls were parading around with no clothes are did something to suggest the comment is one thing....but they did not. Thats the issue that people are missing. Now I agree that Jackson and Sharpton may have an agenda, Jackson especially. But who else is there to step and stand for the rights of these women. The issue did not come to light until they began protesting. As a black person in America it is easy for me to see that the ways that minorities are discriminated against, however white America will never understand this because there is no way for you to relate. Its like saying a man understands what its like to be pregnant...And this is the same for comments that we make within our own community...Black people are unaccepting of others using racial epethetes (spelling?) because they are based on hatred, anger, superiority, and the mistreatment of our race...Or that of a person of another race trying to be something they could never be or truly reltate to...

pontius

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
still if the guy got fired for making a comment (although not necessary) about miami in the brawl...then why shouldnt imus be fired??? what he said was a lot worse than the miami comment
the guy that got fired for the Miami brawl comment was an employee of the University of Miami, as a pay per view broadcaster. he was a representative of the program that he was commenting on, Imus is not a reprensentative of Rutgers. you are comparing apples to oranges.

rylan1

Lets go through all the advantages the "oppressed" of this county have... Equal Opp groups Special Scholar ship programs soley for them ETC ETC ETC Lets get one thing straight - although you probably will disagree... There are scholorships for all races said:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/smilies/mrknowitall.gif[/img]