show me black sand reef tanks please

gaboon1

the wife and i are trying to see what a tank looks like with black sand with nice rock work please..

gaboon1

Originally Posted by burpuffer
http:///forum/post/2545692
Heres mine

thats exactly what i was looking for thank you.. im going with black rock.. it sets it apart from everyone elses tanks....
we have the same stand and everything and was wondering what black sand would look like with regular wood color stand and hood. thanks again and im drooling now..

gaboon1

yeah steves tank is amazing lookin. any tips steve for me. im basing my tank on yours. i like the crazy lookin stuff and that green brain is amazing.. wouldent mind a list of what ya got in there. and also do you remember what kinda black sand you used. is it the grey gost or just black live sand?

steve24

Originally Posted by gaboon1
http:///forum/post/2548024
yeah steves tank is amazing lookin. any tips steve for me. im basing my tank on yours. i like the crazy lookin stuff and that green brain is amazing.. wouldent mind a list of what ya got in there. and also do you remember what kinda black sand you used. is it the grey gost or just black live sand?
WOW, thanks
glad you like my tank that much

i`ll try giving a list of everything in it ...
first, 3 bags of Gray Coast Calcite by Tidal Marine Substrates
and for corals...wow
neon green brain, pom pom xenia, red-orange monti cap, frogspawn, duncans, GSP (green star polyps), yellow polyps, acans, dendros, red blastos, shrooms - red, purple, blue striped, rics - orange and green, neon green (kryptonite) candy canes, 4 types of zoas WOW my head hurts now
i "think" thats about it
other then a few small acro frags ...

A

alexmir

I have the charcoal grey calcite sand. At first i loved it!! it looked really good, but after a while i had stuff chipping off my rocks and it made the sand look dirty when there was white chunks all over the place. I have also had a hard time keeping it as clean as i did with my live sand. I am desperately wanting to go back to live sand.
This is of course just my opinion, so do whatever sand makes you happy!!

streetdoc

How does black sand effect your lighting. I mean, does it make the tank look darker? Seems like you would need to bump up the watts per gallon a bit. yes or no?

gaboon1

hey coraljunky what are you using for sand. is it just black or is it the live stuff that has lil flecks of white sand in it?

coraljunky

Live black beach sand. My inverts like to decorate it with misc shells and coral. I like black sand for color contrast